Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sovereign sensitivity question

A

Anonymous

I just got a Sovereign XS2-Pro and I seem to be having trouble with the sensitivity. I have to run it with the dial set at 3:00. Any more sends it into orbit. It doesn't work very well in auto either. I thought it may be dirt in the coil cover so I cleaned it but it didn't help. I thought it might be the power lines so I went to the front yard. didn't help. So could it be the cold weather and snow on the ground or does it sound like I got a lemon?

My 2a will do that at times in certain locations.
Try a different location to see what happens.
Some spots can be so bad that unplugging the coil is the only way to stop the interference.
A bad coil can also cause similar problems.
HH

I guess I don'tunderstand. If I unplug the coil is this supposed to tell me if I have a bad coil? I've never had any problems in my yard with other detectors.

It works fine in all-metal. I can turn the sensitivity way up or auto and it runs smooth. The discriminate just won't run above the 3:00 setting. Anyone have any idea how much it will cost to repair? Thanks.

Another coil if you have access to one, and you might take the unit out of the case, look it over to see if there might be some contamination that you can see, otherwise if you have eliminated battery probs. it might be a circuit problem and that would be trip to the shop. The detector comes apart pretty easy, remove the two screws in the back, put your headphone jack in the socket and a combination of push gently on the coil plug and pull on the headphone plug should get it out of the housing.. Look it over carefully especially the coil plug area and for other signs of overheating etc...Don't give up on it its a great unit worth fixing...Geo

What is is accualy doing?? In all metal it wont be nulling like it will in disc or the tone changing as in disc. If you hold the coil is the air with out getting close to any metal what is it doing. If it is going wild then unplug the coil and see what it will do. Now if it is still going wild then there would have to be something wrong in the control box, that is if you have a good battery in it, so if it is a rechargeable make sure you have it charged up, if a alikline make sure you have a good set of batteries. Do not put rechargeable batteries in the alkiline pack as you will have a problem.
Let us know what it is doing when you have a good battery in it and when you disconect the coil from the control box.
Rick

Rick pretty well covered it.
The idea of unplugging the coil is to see if noise is getting in through the coil.
In areas where noise is bad, I get a fairly smooth threshold in all metal, but there is a constant "chit-chit-chit" noise in it. In disc mode, there will be a lot of nulling and a bunch of nasty "gurgling" sounds if sensitivity is set too high. It can be too much for auto mode as well.
There is a fundamental problem with the operating frequencies all being harmonics of 60 hz power.
Minelab let this problem go for 10 years until they put the band switch in the Elite.
It's hard to guess just what the major noise source is, so you have to try different locations. Sometimes moving just a few yards makes a big difference.
If you try a location that is several hundred yards from the nearest power source and are still having problems, then the coil or the box could be the problem.
Give it a shot. There have been frequent posts in the past (before the Elite) where individuals really had fits trying to hunt in town.
HH

Possibly the battery is bad. Anyone know where I can get an alkaline adaptor? The sound is constantly changing. When I disconnected the coil and meter the sound went back to smooth. Even with the meter plugged in it was going wild. I tried plugging the coil in by itself, still the same problem even when I held the coil in the air. First thing this morning it seemed to be working better, but that didn't last long. I took the control box out but it looked clean.

Probably has the adaptor for the alkaline holders the holders themselves can be gotten at RS or any electronics store...Geo

I'm one of those who has a lot of noise running in town. Depending on the location I have to be 3-oclock or CW.
All Metal picks up a warble just like Art says. Either a surging on top of the threshold or a tik tik tik sort of sound.
In disc it just won't settle down. Threshold for a second or two and then zoop zoop zwoop it'll surge up. Or null, zwoop, null.
I thought my Sov XS2a had a problem but by going to a different town I found that I had a solid threshold there.
So before you ship off to LV, try taking it farther away from civilization. Anyhow I still pull stuff from 5-7" even at 3oclock so don't be too worried about it.

The token I posted about a week ago was somewhere around 6-7 inches and ON EDGE. Sensitivity was set to 3 o'clock because of noise and iron.
Some places I will walk away from or break out my backup detector.
Interesting note.........
Same location I described where the token was found....
Hunted the same location on Memorial day a couple years ago, and could run sensitivity at MAX without any noise problem. While 11 oclock is the BEST setting for me, tried max anyway and found it to be quiet for a change. Then nearly missed a quarter and a penny because performance was degraded so much at the max setting. Sounded really bad, and nearly passed them up until I dropped sensitivity back to 11. Really came in strong and clear then !!!!
HH

Art,
I agree with the last part of you post at which when you turned down the sensitivity a little made it better. Many think you want to run it as high as possible, but dont realize that not only is it sensitive to the good target is is also sensitivie to the trash too or mineralization. This is where you have to run the sensitivity to match the area you are in, but in most places here I can run around the 11 o'clock, but there has been times when 3 is as high as I can go and sometimes auto works the best.
We used to call this the high beam effect, like on you car, when it is clear you can run high beams on the light, but if it is foggy then the high beams you can not see as far as low beams. This is the same with detectors as the ground is bad then you wont see to far with the high sensitivity and low will do better.
Rick

Signal to noise ratio.
Most don't realize that there is an awful amount of noise that the detector does not sound off on. Destroys the ability to resolve targets and costs in depth.
Could be called "masking by noise" .
HH