Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Spectra V3i

blund

Just Bought a spectra V3i to use close to home for some prospecting I will use it in the parks and the beach as well I fish a lot I need something to do when the bite is slow. I need help with proper setup i.e coil to use and program changes to be made I have the standard coil that came with the machine A DD coil...

Thanks all...

Hello blund301,

I know the V3i has a dedicated prospecting program. I don't own one. I assume when the prospecting program is employed, it would put the machine in all metal mode, using the highest single frequency, not multi.

Generally smaller coils will work with small gold better. Won't go as deep. In most locations sub gram gold is what is found, not huge nuggets.

Concentric coils tend to be more sensitive, but, are less effective in harsh ground. The DD coils handle bad ground better.

I have a GMT a totally different animal than yours! I can't help with any customized settings therfore.

Hopefully, someone who uses, or has used a V3i can help out. To my knowlege, the V3i isn't one of the more common VLF machines used for nugget shooting.

GOOD LUCK

The Prospecting mode is the way to go. You can use the coil that came with the detector unless you are halfway serious about this.

If you do want to put extra money and effort into it, a 6" x 10" DD coil would be the best all around option for prospecting but in all honesty not a huge difference over the stock coil. Going to the 4" x 6" Shooter coil might give you more versatility. The V3i does not ground track as well as the MXT and GMT, so the best thing you can do if you get serious about nugget detecting with the machine is get familiar with locking the ground tracking and doing the ground balance manually.

I gave it a go but frankly found the V3i a bit too digital in its responses for my liking. It does very well in milder ground but is a struggle to use in real mineralized ground. If you want to get into gold prospecting the price of a 6" x 10" Eclipse coil would cover half the cost of a brand new Fisher Gold Bug (the base $499 model) which would work better and be easier to master.

Best of luck to you!

Steve What do you think about for the beach. I know the DD coil is not water proof what Coil would you recommend, for use with the V3i.

All White's could are waterproof. Some do float more than other however. The stock DD would be the choice for mineralized black sand beaches, and the 950 concentric a popular option for milder white sand type beaches.