Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Spending time learning AQ LTD discrimination

tvr

I've been hunting nearly all in all metal mode with the AQ. Thinking back to a trip I took specifically to see how the AQ handled a beach filled with hot rocks; I figured it was time to really learn the discrimination capabilities. One thing I previously figured out is that it is difficult to get rid of hair pins on any setting, yet they do give that classic double beep that makes them easy to walk away from. I decided to pick a couple of targets and set up to hear the tone shift in tone mode that would tell me to walk away from those targets that otherwise do not give a lot of clues.
The problem targets I picked to set up with were some small screws that I had dug while thinking they were going to be good targets, but were not. Setting up to identify those screws as "no dig" in tone mode had me at Reject = 7; ATS just shy of 9. Spent the last two days working with settings but staying pretty close to those settings. If I chose to just dig the sweet high tones and none of the warbles or grunting sounds then about the only iron I was digging was the occasional hair pin; predicted as hair pin due to the double beep. I was not digging tent stakes. I also wasn't digging pennies, dimes, quarters or lead sinkers. Soda and beer cans went low grunt too!
Nickles and the couple of gold rings I brought to test all screamed that smooth high tone. I did dig some sinkers, but that was because I was hitting on the brass swivels that go high tone. Without the brass, the sinkers break to low tone grunting.

Interesting couple of days. I think I'm pretty confident now that if I want to just go hunt for gold and not dig coins; I can do that. There is a chance I will not hear that huge monstrous gold ring when set like I'm set, but the focus will be squarely on looking for the majority of gold jewelry and not digging otherwise. In the middle of fresh drop season, it very well might be the way to go!

You do lose some depth in discrimination. Some times I run in all metal and switch to tone mode when I want to try to distinguish do I dig or not. When I do switch modes, the detector will start falsing so I have to change the frequency up or down one click to run it more stable. There are days I just go looking for the gold in tone or silent mode. You will still dig can slaw, brass, bullets,.

You do lose some depth in discrimination. Some times I run in all metal and switch to tone mode when I want to try to distinguish do I dig or not. When I do switch modes, the detector will start falsing so I have to change the frequency up or down one click to run it more stable. There are days I just go looking for the gold in tone or silent mode. You will still dig can slaw, brass, bullets,.
I do get more interference when in discriminate mode. Near some resorts, discriminate is a no go when high on the beach, nearer the building. Increase delay and reduce sensitivity seem to help more than the frequency setting. Around other buildings and resorts it runs dead quiet. Not sure if it is wifi interference, noisy power panels or what. Now that we are moving near the wide beaches in South Carolina, I'm thinking I will be doing more beach scanning looking just for gold and not as much in the water running all metal.
Yesterday I saw a guy with an Equinox. He headed the other way and then off the beach so I was not able to talk with him. When I got near where he had been digging I got a bit ticked because he was not filling his holes. Good way to get more regulations made against detecting. I filled in about ten holes; cursing under my breath the entire time.

Experimenting with settings is a key factor in using any detector successfully.
Impulse AQ is best when all settings are utilised for the beach and its intended targets.
I use Tone Mode as our $1 and $2 coins have low tone like silver rings and coins.
Large 9ct (k) "Gold" rings can be in the high or low tone depending on depth and ground conditions.