Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Still Using Old Tiger Shark

Rick W

I've been out of serious detecting for a good while now, and didn't even know that Tesoro was history until yesterday. My 2 favorite machines are Tesoro, but I am thinking about getting an Equinox 6 or 800. Just wondering if the Equinox will outperform the old Tiger Shark. Oh, well. Decisions, decisions.

I've been out of serious detecting for a good while now, and didn't even know that Tesoro was history until yesterday. My 2 favorite machines are Tesoro, but I am thinking about getting an Equinox 6 or 800. Just wondering if the Equinox will outperform the old Tiger Shark. Oh, well. Decisions, decisions.
The Tiger Shark I have is fun to use. I don't use it much since it is not very deep in salt water; although it does better in brackish, and it is very seldom I'm in fresh water. Sounds like a duck over targets and sometimes makes me laugh listening to it quack.

I don't have an Equinox, but have compared targets with both a CZ and Excal to other users with an Equinox. I suspect, once learned, an Equinox will do better than a Tiger Shark in most conditions. Tiger Shark is good on very small gold in fresh water (and very small foil too).

The Tiger Shark I have is fun to use. I don't use it much since it is not very deep in salt water; although it does better in brackish, and it is very seldom I'm in fresh water. Sounds like a duck over targets and sometimes makes me laugh listening to it quack.

I don't have an Equinox, but have compared targets with both a CZ and Excal to other users with an Equinox. I suspect, once learned, an Equinox will do better than a Tiger Shark in most conditions. Tiger Shark is good on very small gold in fresh water (and very small foil too).
Thanks! I've been digging since 1979. And I've had many machines, but I rarely get to salt water. I've found lots of gold rings and things over the years in freshwater, and have found 6 gold rings in one day on 2 occasions, but about 6 years ago, the gold abruptly stopped, and then it was all tungsten carbide, stainless steel, and junk. Dont know what happened.

Thanks! I've been digging since 1979. And I've had many machines, but I rarely get to salt water. I've found lots of gold rings and things over the years in freshwater, and have found 6 gold rings in one day on 2 occasions, but about 6 years ago, the gold abruptly stopped, and then it was all tungsten carbide, stainless steel, and junk. Dont know what happened.
Yes, I dig those junk rings too. Seems to be the fashion now. One guy I used to work with lost his platinum ring at the beach one summer; replaced it with a white gold one; lost that at the beach and replaced it with a stainless steel one. Got to hit in front of higher end resorts and research for old beaches that are no longer used to get back to bigger gold counts. I just enjoy getting out on occasion and getting the old muscles some much needed exercise whether I'm in the gold or not.

I have both tiger shark and nox 800.. I never truly got proficient with the tiger shark but still did very well with it..in my opinion the 800 will out perform the tiger shark especially on the smaller stuff mainly due to the wide variety of adjustable settings..I did struggle quite a lot learning the 800.. I mainly freshwater hunt for micro jewelry.. I like using 40khz most when looking for the smaller stuff.. the main thing I like about the 800 over the tiger shark is all adjustments are on the outside unlike those few Tesoro put inside the box..

Yes, I dig those junk rings too. Seems to be the fashion now. One guy I used to work with lost his platinum ring at the beach one summer; replaced it with a white gold one; lost that at the beach and replaced it with a stainless steel one. Got to hit in front of higher end resorts and research for old beaches that are no longer used to get back to bigger gold counts. I just enjoy getting out on occasion and getting the old muscles some much needed exercise whether I'm in the gold or not.
Yes. As for the finds, the rewards are definitely related to the quality of traffic where you hunt. My health is not good at all, but I really enjoy the exercise and even the junk finds on a day when I feel like going.

Reactions: tvr
I have both tiger shark and nox 800.. I never truly got proficient with the tiger shark but still did very well with it..in my opinion the 800 will out perform the tiger shark especially on the smaller stuff mainly due to the wide variety of adjustable settings..I did struggle quite a lot learning the 800.. I mainly freshwater hunt for micro jewelry.. I like using 40khz most when looking for the smaller stuff.. the main thing I like about the 800 over the tiger shark is all adjustments are on the outside unlike those few Tesoro put inside the box..
That makes a lot of sense. I got proficient with the Tiger, probably because I hunted the same areas over and over. The machine just "fit" the conditions where I hunt. For the last 3 years in a row, the water levels have been high, so that hurt my late season hunts.