Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Suggest a great metal detector for me :detecting:

ANMAN

Hello everyone,
I've been craving a new metal detector for a year now and am left stymied by all the options available...

Experience? Hardly, just the harbor freight detector to find stuff I've dropped.

Here is my situation:

-Old time Vermont farm with old homesteads
-Wet, heavy clay soils
-Some areas are VERY trashy, I need great filtering for the tin, iron, and steel buried everywhere (scrap is only 7-10 cents a pound for that stuff ;) )
-Deep detection desired, I have some areas that have been leveled, combed over by other detector hobbyists, and/or tilled over,
-My wife's parents are Puerto Rico so I will eventually have beach opportunities

The more under $1000 the better!
Looks like I will need a waterproof coil, but I am not going to need full submersion.

PS:
-I have 2 "spectra select" White's dealers within 30 miles from my home
-I'd like a good pin pointer
-If I really go nuts, I could search for gold flakes in the devastation we had from hurricane Irene.

Hello Anman,
Actually I'm surprised you haven't gotten as many opinions as there are detectors on the market. Based on my experience and considering what's available for the dollar spent, there are basically five detectors I would seriously consider. They are: 1. The Tesoro Cort'es, 2. The Minelab X-terra 705, 3. Garrett ATPro, 4. Fisher F70, and last but not least 5. White's MXT All of these detectors have a reasonably short learning curve and will last for many years to come. In the end, it all comes down to personal choice. If you're new to metal detecting, there's much you need to learn and a great place to begin is with River City Treasure Club , which is an On-line only club designed specifically for those new to metal detecting. Of course you'll also learn a great deal here on these forums simply by listening to those who have been out there practicing this hobby for many years. Good luck and good hunting.

SeniorSeeker

I have a couple detectors. Recently got a Garrett ATPro. I hunt a lot of old farm sites that are just fields now with lots of iron. The AT works great in this environment. Also works great for me in the woods sites I have. Most are colonial sites with lots of iron. I highly recommend the ATpro and Bart at Big Boys Hobbies. He gave me a great deal on the two coil package. Good luck and happy hunting this season, Joe.

For A PIN POINTER I would highly recommend either the Garrett Pro Pointer or the Minelab one. Both will meet your needs. I could not see trying to detect without one.

I would highly recommend the Garrett AT Pro for your needs. I would recommend getting the 5x8 coil to help you cut out the trash. The Garrett Pro Pointer is also definitely the way to go for my money. You just can't beat the Garrett duo for the money!

Seems to be several people that really like the AT Pro. Make it one more. I search mostly parks, sports fields and private property with a few median strips and bus stops thrown in for giggles. The pro has paid for it's self almost 3.5 times since I got it. That counting clad only. The Garrett pro pointer is the only way to go in pin pointers. There are several videos that show you how to make it more sensitive, but you really don't need it. If money is no object get a Minelab CTX. Next best at around a grand is the MXT pro. The best overal deal is an AT Pro from Big Boys Hobbies (Bart).

I use a Garrett 1350 which has many nice features, but lately I've been hearing lots and lots of good things about AT PRO and AT GOLD! It's priced right too. Kellyco.com will make a good deal one with lots of extras. Check'm out. No, I'm not associated with them at all... lol just had very good luck doing business with them. Fast delivery too.

Mine lab Mine lab Mine lab!!!! Make that a safari for starters. No doubt the AT pro is hot machine it cant stay on a shelf. If your looking for deep silver cant beat a FBS machine. Safari is user friendly and powerful. It sounds like the majority are saying Pro though. I would say its better on gold which is awesome but gold is few and far between inland. However silver is not so do yourself a favor look at the pictures posted of old coins on the safari page up top and compare it to the at pro page. you will get my point. It does depend on your hunting. Personally im a silver coin hog. Some guys rather find one gold ring to hundred silver. If that's the kind of detectorist you think you might be then maybe the pro is for you. Note there was one guy two years back that found an amazing amazing amount of ancient silver under water with the pro but you didn't say under water. good luck.