Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Sundays finds

A

Anonymous

Got out today for a couple of hours in a union camp. Found the gold ring marked "10K gold filled". Could anyone give me an idea of what gold filled is and how old this ring could be. It has another mark which is a capital U with an arrow going through it. Any ideas? Dana

I don't know about the ring but my eye caught that heart button. The heart symbol was used quite a bit in the Civil War, from heel plates to horse tack. Impressive finds and a good site. I'm not sure what it meant but I see it pop up in these Forums. I found a horse rosette with the heart motif here in NH. Maybe from an old soldier. Ron

Hi Dana, "Gold Fill" is a layer of gold (In this case 10K) permanently bonded by heat and pressure to one or more surfaces of a supporting metal, then rolled or drawn to a prescribed thickness. The Karat Gold layer must be at least 1/20th by weight of the total combined gold and base metal.
Basically it's gold plated, but the term on how the gold is bonded is Gold Filled.
About how old it is, I don't know, usually it doesn't matter for GF rings (age), and I believe Gold Filling is a 'new' tecknique.