Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Switching to the XP Deus?

diggindowndeep

Hello,

I do apologize in advance if this topic has already been discussed, which I'm sure it has. May I ask if there are any members here that used to swing a slower/heavier FBS unit & have now switched over to the much faster/lighter Deus? Reason being, I previously owned a Safari & an E-Trac w/ X-1, and I currently own an X-Terra 705. I'm looking to replace my primary detector & based on all of my research so far, I'm heavily leaning towards getting a Deus this time around. I already understand that it's a single axis unit & it's TID's can be a little jumpy at depth(normal for a highly sensitive unit). I'm more concerned about whether or not it has that certain sweet tone that tells your ears it's a potential keeper.

I primarily hunt modern/older parks, homesteads, wooded areas, plus an occasional freshwater shoreline. I search for coins, relics & some jewelry. My soil tends to have a lot of iron debris in it, along with some heavy minerals (GB 8-20's). I'm located in North Central WI/ UP MI border area, aka copper country. It's not that I can't handle swinging the slower, more cumbersome units. I would just prefer not to at this point if at all possible. Years of manual labor are now catching up to me. lol

I was also curious as to what detector would compliment the Deus in a backup role if saltwater beaches were to be a possibility down the road? I figured that if anyone would know a thing or two about the Deus, it would be you. Before I proceed any further, I'm going to buy a Deus Handbook from Andy S., so I can read up on what makes it tick even further. Also, this way I can see if it would be a good fit for me & $20 is a whole lot cheaper than $1.5k plus, just in case. :) Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks much for your time,
JT

Well let's see, I am a past Sovereign Elite, XS, EXII, SE Pro and Etrac user so I guess I might fall into the same situation as you :sadwalk:. :yikes:As far as the VDI comment, I don't really see it getting worse at depths. Here in Pa I do see it rise up some times and at depth I think the coins sound better.

I will tell you this, I considered myself to be very proficient with the Etrac and SE Pro but after the first half hour with the Deus I told my buddie who was with me using his Etrac, I said I don't miss my Etrac.

Now we all know the Etrac is deadly on silver and mine was well trained at it but my first day out with the Deus yielded 2 silver and 6 wheats along with some clad. I will say though I did take the time to learn the VDI numbers but who wouldn't do that before you venture out for the first time. I have the 11" coil coming on Thursday and I think this coming year will be my best ever.

Get it, you won't regret it!!

I am coming from having owned and used the MineLab SE, Etrac and CTX. I have no detecting experience with Deus yet due to having about 18" of snow in my yard. I have been studying Andy's book, the Deus Users Guide and internet resources while also setting up programs on the control unit and running coins across the coil. I will be happy to share my experiences as I start hunting with the Deus and coming to it from 7 years of strictly MineLab use.

The moment I picked up the Deus, that was the end of the Minelab Sovereign. While the Sovereign is a good detector, the Deus was like turning on a light switch in a dimly lit room.
The Sovereign is like carrying around a ball and chain. Deus has no wires, is feather light, and just as deep with comparable coils. The VDI numbers go up the deeper the target until it can no longer resolve the target with an ID.
That is opposite the Sovereign meter. I did grab the Sovereign once when I had the Deus in for repairs but loathed even using it that one time. I have saved it for ocean beaches but have yet to have a chance to use it there.
Not sure the Deus is really up to the task of Saltwater.

I have my Excalibur for water hunting.

First of all let me tell you that I have ZERO experience with anything Minelab!

However, I wanted to share my experience with the Deus in the short 2 months I have owned it. I came from the old CZ line of Fisher detectors...had one on and off since 1995 and could never find anything that would top it for general-purpose coin and relic hunting. Not until I came across the Deus - what a difference it has made already!

If you are accustomed to the high-pitched sound of silver from Minelab machines - I would recommend using "Full Tone" audio. I tried it one day just for fun and haven't looked back. No setting breakpoints or tone frequencies - very simple approach...the higher conductivity a target has, the higher pitched it sounds! I understand the tones are not as "clean-sounding" as some other machines, but there will be an adjustment period as with everyone who changes detectors...

Bottlecaps will tend to ID around a "quarter" initially, but there are a few ways around this. I tried a new-to-me 4kHZ program last night notching out 1-10 and 96-00 and it really helped pick the coins from the trash - without getting too in-depth with the settings. Still got a couple caps but didn't want to leave much to chance.Steel bottlecaps will also have a tinge of a low-freq iron sound which helps ID them, and eventually you will be able to determine BY EAR a cap from a keeper, regardless of the settings.

It's encouraging to see many members on here who have made the switch to Deus after coming from Minelab - whose machines are among the best out there! Some have switched to Deus, got discouraged at first for whatever reasons, but then eventually came back to the Deus probably because OVERALL it can't be beat!!! Sure, it may not ID as accurately at depth compared to some top-shelf detectors, but its ability to pick goodies from a complete bed of iron is simply amazing! Plus the weight (or lack of it)...plus the convenience of coil changes...etc

Hope this helps and HH!

Reading Andy's book will only make you want to get outside more!

It worked fairly well. Ran it in 4 and 8 Khz modes with no issues other than the occasional false. The area was loaded with rusly iron nails ( some right on top) as well as other junk, and the Deus did hit some coins in the 7-8 inch range in the wet sand. I did not try the other frequencies in the wet sand.

So in a pinch, the Deus can run on a wet, salt sand beach....but I do agree there are better units for that application.

Fun thing with the Deus though, was when I want to hunt the dry sand, there aren't many units better for that !!!! Switched to 22 kHz for the gold. Found lots of .22 shell casings...which is a good thing if you think about it.

Hello again, Thanks for your time & input! I already ordered Andy's Deus Handbook in the interim & unless something changes, I'll probably end up getting the Deus vs. getting another E-Trac. I also ruled out the CTX for too many reasons to mention here. I still have 3-4 ft. of snow on the ground, so I have plenty of time to decide while reading Andy's informative book.

Having come from using Minelab FBS's as my primary units with those more flutey higher tones that can help with ID'ing a keeper target at depth. My main concern at this point is the Deus only having 4 tones max. to go with the VDI at depth. That's the one thing that I didn't like with the X-705, it's tones seemed too subdued or just plain vanilla & it didn't grab my attention with that certain keeper sound like the FBS did. Much less information being relayed I guess. The 705 also lacked any consistent depth in my highly mineralised soil. Even though they're both VLF units, based on what I've read, it appears that's where the comparison between the Deus & 705 ends.

Maybe I'm wrong here? After all I'm still learning as I go... I also wanted to thank Jeff & Marc for their very detailed PM's. That added info was a huge help!

GL & HH!
JT

I have no Minelab experience, so I don't know if it compares, but the Deus Full Tones gives you a different tone for every reading, and the higher tones may give you what you're looking for. But it is certainly different than the 5 tones the Deus can do when set up with specific discrete tone breaks. If you post where you live (approx. if you don't want to give too many details), maybe someone can let you demo/try out their Deus? I know I'd be willing if you lived near me (I'm in Austin, TX).
Rich

Hello Rich,

Thanks much for the kind offer! I see that you reside in Stevie Ray Vaughan's home town of Austin, TX. Sorry to get off point here, I just couldn't resist giving the "shout out" to the late, great SRV. Now back on point...

Unfortunately I live in North Central Wisconsin, just south of the U.P. of Michigan border. Having lived in a rural area for so long now, I've gotten used to doing a bunch of research online first & then making the best choice I can with the information that's available. Of course the hands on approach is much better than buying something sight unseen, however that's usually not an option for me in this area. Specialty stores such as for metal detectors are no where to be found around here, in fact I'm just happy that we have a couple big box stores to choose from within a 50 miles radius. :) Also, I don't think there are any MD clubs that are within a reasonable driving distance of where I live.

GL & HH!
JT

I am an old Minelab lover I have used all of their machines and I will say this regarding results they can match any machine in the world for results,I had the sovereign amd just loved it then I got old,{I am 83} and I discovered that I could not swing it anymore it was killing me,then I discovered the Deus I am now back to being about 65 as I can swing it all day.Switching from a machine which took very little to set it up and get results is very hard when the Deus needs some configuring which as yet I have not mastered but I love trying it out and can rest on my laurels having found enough on the beach with the Sov to make 3 Gold Bangles plus lots more in cash. So my advice to you is stick with the sov on the beach but use your Deus out in the country.

83? Wow that's awesome! I just hope I am still here at 83 but then to also be able to get out and detect, that's Great that you are blessed to be able to detect.

The greatest man I ever knew was my Grandfather who recently died at 96. He was an amazing person, one that other men should be moulded from.

Thanks Larry @ NWI Detectors for all of your valued time & help with making the XP Deus my next go to detector. I'm very happy that I was given your name by another highly respected Finds forum member. :) Not only were you extremely knowledgeable & patient, you're very personable as well.

I'll be referring your name in the future, just the same...

I was looking for the best in the mid-west & I finally found it. Better late than never...You da man!

Good day,
JT