Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tarsacci MDT hunt

dewcon4414

I was hunting yesterday with the MDT..... not everyday is a GOOD day. I hit the first chain ..... clearly marked 14K on the hasp..... 21" long...... 22 grams....... it looked good on the stone for color....but wouldnt acid test beyond 10K... it also read 1 on a Nox. First thought maybe it just cheap gold...... but out came the earth magnet..... that was the tell all. The second was the same except there was no clasp or marking. Two of those rings are SS. This plated stuff is getting crazy...... makes you wonder, did the person with that 14K necklace KNOW it was plated SS? There was nothing to indicate it was plated. I believe i read somewhere there now is a jewelry maker using 18K as its maker mark. Im wondering how the rules apply now to marking plated jewelry...... and when does it become fraud? Oh.... how bout that knife collection lol?

Love the knife collection. The ones I find are normally corroded and caked with deposits.

Many years back when *bay was first hit by Chinese dealers (100+++pages of dealers) they offered (supposed) gold rings with various stones at costume jewelry prices.
I ordered 3 rings, sapphire, ruby and emerald, in 14kt or 18kt settings.
I put them in electrolysis for 5 to 10 minutes each: most of the gold plate was soon off the pot metal of the rings. Within 10 days, many of the dealers were gone.:nopity:
I've seen lots of jewelry from Mexico that was falsely stamped too--also fake gold peso coins.
YOU PAYS YER mon-ey and you takes yer choice, Mark Twain
Put another way, Caveat emptor (buyer beware.)
Would you buy from a dealer that had a sign saying, "buy at your own risk?" :poke:

Ha ha .... there a sucker born every day too. We saw it big time with antiques and coins. They would put a sticker on it that said copy....which would be removed once thru customs. But if I remember we had the same issue with Japan. They started buying skyscrapers and steel mills.....we haven’t learned our history lesson. Let’s face the world thinks Americans have more money than brains. Another country ya kind have to watch is Italy.... I always check their gold jewelry.

In recent years I've recovered 2 heavy gold chains marked 14k Italy that looked good right off. Both, un-forunately, were just good fakes. Have had a couple of 925 and sterling marked Italy silver rings that were plated, too. HH jim tn

Thats why i keep an EARTH magnet around....... if its junk you know it. It was the weight that was throwing me...... 22 grams.

I have found a couple of really good looking & heavy chains. 1 was stamped 14Kt Italy- 30 some grams-plated. Really nice 18kt plated. There are a lot of them out there unfortunately