Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

TDI W/P Project

cjc

Thinking of waterproofing a TDI. Anyone know the board size? Isn't there an issue with cell heat? Can't believe the punch and smoothness of that detector.
cjc

I use my TDI on the beach with a Jimmy Serra 18 " T foot coil. I have a one gallon ziploc bag fitted around the box excluding the shaft with the zipper in back so I can feed the head phone wire out and get access to the battery door. The bag is not a tight fit which is good and I'm just trying to keep the salt air off the electronics. I've noticed the unit can get very warm after about an hour of use. I've noticed the smell of heated plastic once like someone was paving the street. I quickly opened the back of the bag and let air get to the battery compartment door. I guess some heat is good to keep the electronics dry but I wouldn't push it. I suggest you try this first and get an appreciation for the heat generated. If you build a box I would go oversize which kind of defeats the purpose I guess. Here's a pic of mine.

ROBOCOP

The other detector is an older Detector Pro Head Hunter pulse with a Eric Foster custom coil modded by Mister Bill. I submerge the coil of this detector but I don't submerge the TDI big foot coil because I'm not sure how truly waterproof it is.

Thanks for your reply, Robocop. For sure had from that big cell is the main concern. Steve H had a go at it will get a note over to him and see what he says. If you own a TDI for sure you know why the project would be worthwhile. Deepest pulse I've used although the Aquastar is very close. Superb audio and smoothness too. Great detectors and scoop mods there.
regards,
clive

I don't think I miss much when I go down the beach swinging that big windshield wiper coil over the wet sand. I detect the Treasure coast beaches of Florida.

Listening for that sound of Steven Tyler wailing on a harmonica. That's the best I can describe that sound.

ROBOCOP

Here's an example maybe he can provide some insight.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?22,2165484,2166680#msg-2166680

ROBOCOP

Thanks for the heads up Robo. Bob is the master of waterproofing machines. Here's one more.
http://z7.invisionfree.com/whitesgoldmaster/index.php?showtopic=822&view=getnewpost
regards,
clive

I'm in the process of putting my TDI SL into a waterproof box. Similar to what is done with the Gt's. Will run it in straight PI mode so I won't need to play with the dials.
Wouldn't this be more logical than taking the unit apart and re-assembling it into a waterproof box?

Hi Stephen
That's probably true, but straight PI or not some fidelity does not hurt. The advantage of a superb PI like the TDI is to be able to tweak the Gain and Delay to make it even smoother.
regards,
clive

Hi Clive,
I was also taking that into consideration. That might even entail going over once running soft and then going over it again running hot. For me it would be more practical to go to shore and make adjustments than doing the full conversion due to my location and access to materials.
The SL in a waterproof box would sit perfectly just behind the elbow would be a very hard PI to beat.

stephenscool.
I have been reading some of your post,I am not trying to hert your feeling
some of what you are doing is creating your problems.
I have been detecting more than 60 years,have been there.
On any stick the arm rest goes at end of stick,behind box.it supports arm
and keeps arm from moveing side to side,this stops arm from hitting controal
pots,also keeps arm up over top of box.
If stick move from side to side it will also hit your stomach has this happened.
Try it in wast deep water see what happens.If you dont wont to get SL wet
make one out of PVC pipe give it a try.
Your picture shows the coil wire hanging not good,if it is lose in water it cause
false signals.
Frank-s

Hi Frank,
60 years is a long time to be detecting. You must have some great detecting stories.
I've pretty much solved all the problems I was having with the SL. I've made the arm cuff adjustable vertically so I can move it up or down the shaft depending on what size coil I'm swinging. A couple of "s acting as a counter balance helps after a few hours.
The coil cable was hanging like that because I just assembled it for the picture. Didn't want to tape it and then disassamble it to fit in my suitcase again.
TDI SL on straight shaft = thigh deep water
TDI SL in plano box = stomach deep
I might be able to take it deeper but as of right now not willing to really putting the plano under serious stress.
When the air and water temperatures are right I will toss in a thermometer and possibly a few rice bags into the plano if condensation or heat is an issue. I will have to think about solving this 1 better.

My elbow would occasionally nudge the threshold knob only when digging holes. Usually deep holes when I would be putting more weight on the shaft to reach down deeper. Maybe once a night, just enough to annoy the p!ss out of me. I've solved that problem.

I can hold my detector up with 1 finger and the counter balance point is about 1/4" below where the hand grip is. Very few detectors are like this, in fact I've never seen a stock machine setup like this.... It makes swinging a 12x16 coil for 5 hours a night on the beach easy. At the end of the day the only thing aching are my feet from walking and possibly my digging arm.
I can't stress enough how much easier a perfectly counter-balanced detector is. Picture holding a pen on 1 finger like a teeter-tooter. The coil end should be a tad heavier than the control box end. The hand grip is the pivot.

Have thought about the same thing as well. Have been thinking of the TDI. inside the BEACH HUNTER control box.

Again. not sure of the measurements. Warren in Florida would know exactly. if this would work.