Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tejon air test vs. the CZ

change the <STRONG>relative</STRONG> performance of the detectors under test. That is, if Detector A tested better than Detector B in the air test, would you expect Detector B to test better than Detector A using ferrite, a bucket of dirt, etc., all other things being equal?
If not, then the air test is just as good as anything else in determining the <STRONG>relative</STRONG> performances of the two detectors under ideal conditions. That's not to say that they would perform the same in the field, there are far too many potentially confounding variables at work. Even finding a more suitable medium to "bench test" a detector is a questionable pursuit, in my opinion, given the real world presence of confounding variables (e.g., soil type, method of discrimination, presence of trash, ground balancing accuracy, etc.).
And what kind of dirt would you use and how would your standardize it? Also, there are all kinds of ferrite materials with a wide range of permeabilities. Which do you use? And does it make a difference? Again, in my opinion, these options introduce even more confounding variables (if not standardized) than air, which is relatively uniform from the standpoint of variables critical to detector performance.
I guess this debate will go on forever and the bottom line is to use whatever method you feel most comfortable with from a logical level and withhold real world performance determinations until you get the detector out in the field.
HH...Thomas

Suggestion...why not "tape or glue" a ferrite disc..from RS...to a cardboard box about 4" thick. Set the ground balance to the "ferrite core" and then tape your "targets" to the back of the box and scan them. Would this be a "closer approximation" of actual conditions??? Just curious..HH, Lamar

I tried this same testing method years ago when I had the benefits of factory tooling and scenario set-up rigging. I was able to control coil-to-target distance, coil sweep rate and other factors in target presentation to the generated EMF.
E-mail for my response to your post.
Monte