Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tejon gain adjustment

With all my coils in my soil the machine runs too hot, unstable and cannot maintain a threshold. Is there any way to internally adjust down the gain/sensitivity?

Don, I'm going to risk sounding stupid.

My Tejon acts unstable when the ground adjustment is a little bit off in the wrong direction.
So maybe you could try playing with the ground adjustment and see if you get better stability.

If you're willing to open it up, you could check and make sure the wires are still connected to the Sensitivity adjustment pot.

Tesoro used stiff wires. If you currently do not have any broken wires. Better be careful if you do open up the detector. You may break a wire off a solder joint.
There is nothing inside, the user should adjust unless you have an oscilloscope and know how to calibrate the Tejon.

If you have a hot Tejon, consider yourself lucky.

THRESHOLD---The threshold on the Tejon is not the smooth, clean tone that
you may be used to with other detectors. In fact, it is somewhat wavering
and raspy. Don't fret, this is apparently the case with all Tejons and, it is
reported anecdotally by owners with multiple Tejons, that the less smooth the threshold, the deeper the Tejon.

SENSITIVITY---I try to run this setting as high as I can without chatter or
excessive falsing. This is usually in the neighborhood of "10." I'm rarely able
to venture into the Max Boost range. Note that even at the "0" setting, the
Tejon is still very deep (out to B" on coin-sized targets in all-metal) so don't
be afraid to cut back on the sensitivity to reduce falsing, iron pips, or other
noisiness.

1. Ground balance setting---Ideally, you should ground balance a piece of
ferrite before air testing but most folks forego this. Realize, though, that the
GB setting can affect the apparent depth of a test target in the all-metal
mode. That is, setting the GB to full negative/CCW will get you an extra
couple of inches of depth compared to a full positive/CW setting. If you don't
have a piece of ferrite then, just set the GB at mid-range. The GB setting has
hardly any effect if testing in the discrimination mode(s).

As you begin to use the Tejón, you will realize it has a very distinct personality.
First and foremost you will quickly realize that the Tejón has a very distinctive
audio. It almost talks to you. Well, that may be a bit overstated, but the sensitivity
of this machine is so much stronger than traditional Tesoro machines that the
audio really comes alive with subtle “crackles” and “chirps” and “pops. (noisy??)”
It will take you a while to become totally familiar with what it is telling you, but the
longer you use it, the more “language” you will begin to recognize. Targets that
are just below the discrimination settings will give you “ticks” and “pops,” but to
take this a step further, we have learned that some of these “ticks” and “pops”
can really be good deep targets and it may take you a while to recognize the
distinction.

This was from an old post by Dan:
That I can give you for ground balancing....is indeed one that I learned here. It is easier to get it right by starting with it in the "negative" range and work your way up. What I do...is pull the pinpoint trigger and hold it. This enables me to hear the threshold of the machine. Hold the coil several inches above the ground. I hold mine from about 8-10 inches. While still holding the pinpoint trigger I will lower the coil to the ground. Not too slow and not to fast. Listen at the threshold. If it goes from being a steady HUMMMM to an increase in the audio...that means the detector is set "positive". Turn the GB dial a little ways in the direction of the - symbol. What you are trying to find is the point where the detector goes from it's HUMMMM to where the tone dies out whenever you are lowering the coil and holding the trigger. That is the "negative" side I was talking about. Then from there you keep doing the pumping of the coil and EVER so slightly move the GB knob towards the + symbol. What you are listening for now is the break over point where the detector no longer goes silent when you lower the coil. You want to find the neutral ground where it stays close to the same tone. Alot of times you will NOT be able to get it exactly right. I don't hunt with it there anyways...I will actually turn it just a tad more in the + direction for good measure. It is always better to have it set a tad + than to have it - at all. This will also help you keep close to the changing ground while you are hunting.

Some really bad dirt might require you to GB quite often. BUT with experience you will be able to tell from the falsing and extra noise that something is not right on it, and that is the clue to check the GB and see if it needs adjusting. It's alot easier to do than it is to explain how to do it. Tesoro did have a video on their website that showed the basic procedure but I'm not sure if it's still there or not.

I will add that my threshold on my Tejon isn't like any of my other 10 tesoros.
It's always "warbly" if that makes sense. Never just a solid tone of same pitch like all my others. But when ground balancing it gets stable enough to set the GB. I figure this is normal. It is a very powerful machine compared to any other in the tesoro line.
She's a bit more chatty but when you hit a target, you'll hear the difference. Besides as Sven said sometimes those chirps can be very deep targets.
I also want to point out turning the audio pitch knob clicked all the way ccw to vco will make the tone sound different proportional to the depth of the target. So far, I like it turned all the way up so it's closer to the higher pitch of my older tesoros audio pitch. But just letting you know. You can play around with an air test in VCO to hear what I mean. Closer to coil is higher pitch and further is deeper pitch.
Just be patient like with any tesoro and you'll learn what she's telling you. Normal targets not too deep you will still definitely know it's not chatter as long as they aren't disc'd out or on the edge of being disc'd out.

Don't think I would care for a chattery, staticy machine. Heard one say soon after it was introduced, one of the testers actually, that you had to learn what it was telling you.. Not me, would never listen to chatty chirp static all day just to hope I could separate out a good signal to dig.