Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Temporary setback

Ism

My Deus has a rare condition and was sent in for repairs
Last fall I was hunting a plowed field with very few targets. I found a target that registered very high on the TID scale at 12KHz. I thought I had found a large copper or even silver object.
The signal was sweet but as I dug I hit a fist sized glacially worn round stone. I removed it and dug further but found no target. I rescanned the hole but nothing was there.
Then I scanned the rock...it was HOT. So I brought it home with me for further testing. A couple weeks later I played with it in the yard, but this time when I went over it I got a low TID. I chalked it up to environmental conditions on the find.

Fast forward to this spring..... Hunting the ghost town I initialized my Deus as usual and started hunting. I often change the program to get a feel for a target under the coil, but this time the Deus went crazy. It was like I was working a salt water beach.
Every target was a high conductor and the ground was giving me false signals like I found a deep copper object. I cycled the power on my control box and my Deus was good again. This happened a couple times but I never had my cell phone to capture the malfunction. It wasn't a serious issue until it happened almost every hunt. I realized that the problem might be occurring on a more minute scale where I wouldn't be aware of it. I started to think that maybe some of my observances that differ from other seasoned users might be the result of this malfunction.

Last week I went for a school hunt and captured a new malfunction on my cellphone. Two very similar programs, one showed the target as ferrous and the other correctly showed it as nonferrous. The only thing I changed was the frequency of the program that I intended to use. Cycling the power on the control box reset the malfunction. I contacted Detector Electronics Corp. who in turn contacted XP in Europe. Here is their response.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For my opinion the coil lose a part of its calibration. If customer change the frequency or shift the frequency (freq>expert>freq shift), or use
another TX power level (sens>expert>TXpower), then some position will work correctly. Why? it is a mystery, perhaps the detector receive a bad calibration here,
or if that happen after he bought it, it is certainly because the flash memory have lose some of his setting, but we have no explanation for the
instance, as it is very rare. His test method (with a well know target) is good to notice this problem. He (or your technician) can also do this with an hot rock, in the ground page
an hot rock should give a ground value of 86 - 89, if not so there is a bad calibration.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE UNEDITED VIDEO (Sorry, I'm not very good with narrations) This video is not publicized but is available for viewing. I put it up for XP to see the problem first hand.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MakzP9ByJjY[/video]

I show this to help other users that may be experiencing a similar problem and in no way am I slamming XP Detectors. They are happy to repair or replace the defective component under warranty.
I am very pleased with their immediate response to my concerns. My only disappointed is that I will have to temporarily go back to my shelved detectors.

Ran

At how fast your unit will be corrected and returned to you . . . . . rare to have a coil issue but XP Americas will address it post haste

Andy

Yesterday (Friday), I received an email from Detector Electronics. Deus is on its way back to me with new coil.
Like Andy said...very fast turn around.
Thank you XP America.