Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro DD Coils and Crown Bottle Caps(Beer)

If I set my discrimination to MAX on a Tesoro using a DD(Wide Scan) coil, will crown bottle caps be discriminated out?
Well, you left a lot out, such as:
** Which Tesoro model are you referring to?
** What are you looking for to use "full" or "MAX" Discrimination?

My quick answer to the question is possibly, but I will add that you can lose, or not detect, a lot of good non-ferrous targets. Also, with some models you can alter other settings and a result could be falsing noise or possibly not responding to a US silver dollar or maybe a half-dollar.

And finally I wi add that some Tesoro models were designed with a DD coil, but most were not. They were designed with a Concentric coil and they did not work we with a DD coil. If a DD and Concentric are of a similar size, the Concentric will Discriminat DD better and detect just a bit deeper.

Bottlecaps are a man-made ferrous-based object that have a shape that makes them a problem target. Most are found from surface to about 3" deep or slightly more and can be easily 'classified' audibly even with a low Disc. setting.

Monte

⁰⁰

Well, you left a lot out, such as:
** Which Tesoro model are you referring to?
** What are you looking for to use "full" or "MAX" Discrimination?

My quick answer to the question is possibly, but I will add that you can lose, or not detect, a lot of good non-ferrous targets. Also, with some models you can alter other settings and a result could be falsing noise or possibly not responding to a US silver dollar or maybe a half-dollar.

And finally I wi add that some Tesoro models were designed with a DD coil, but most were not. They were designed with a Concentric coil and they did not work we with a DD coil. If a DD and Concentric are of a similar size, the Concentric will Discriminat DD better and detect just a bit deeper.

Bottlecaps are a man-made ferrous-based object that have a shape that makes them a problem target. Most are found from surface to about 3" deep or slightly more and can be easily 'classified' audibly even with a low Disc. setting.

Monte

⁰⁰
I'm using a Tesoro Vaquero cherry picking for coins that register above a US zinc penny. If I use a 6" wide scan coil on the Vaquero at MAX discrimination will crown bottle caps be rejected?

I would prefer to use a 6" concentric coil, but the only Delta 6" coils I've been able to find for sale are wide scan coils, that's why I posted my question. If anyone has a Delta(4 pin) concentric coil they'd like to sell, please send me a PM. Thanks

Last edited:
I'm using a Tesoro Vaquero cherry picking for coins that register above a US zinc penny. If I use a 6" wide scan coil on the Vaquero at MAX discrimination will crown bottle caps be rejected?

I would prefer to use a 6" concentric coil, but the only Delta 6" coils I've been able to find for sale are wide scan coils, that's why I posted my question.
I use a Silver Sabre microMAX and Bandido II microMAX, each with a 6" Concentric coil. I like to find Nickels, and my Tesoro's find over 80% of all my gold and silver rings and jewrly from my urban hunting. These models features the ED-120 range of acceptance and the Vaquero's were classed as ED-160 range of acceptance. That means at minimum Disc. my units are close to the ferrous / non-ferrous break point and most Iron is rejected while the Vaquero Disc., at minimum, is accepting some of the more conductive Iron and require a Disc. increase to be similar to my units.

Then we have problem trash such as non-ferrous Pull-Tabs and Pry-Tabs that fall in the Nickel range, and those blasted ferrous-based Bottle Caps. I love to hunt old picnic groves that were used before we had tabs, but the are loaded with Bottle Caps.

As we know, most Bottle Caps tend to produce a higher-conductive target response. When I spent a day of hunting old picnic groves or even modern picnic bowry areas at popular-use parks, I seldom recovered more that 2 to 5 Bottle Caps in a day's hunt. It wasn't because I used Discrimination to ignore them. It was because most are relatively shallow and easy to 'audibly classify' most of the time even with a low Discrimination setting.

Questions? Drop me an e-mail to:
monte@stinkwaterwells.com

I can tell you it is doable with either type of coil, but easier when using a Concentric.

Monte

I have used the 6 inch wide scan on my Tejon and the English version Vaquero the Laser Trident 2 se. If you pinpoint a cap it will start beeping before the outside edge of the coil goes over it. It is a very wide signal. A coin signal is much narrower. You should also be able to tell it is ferrous by listening to the signal as you pull back the coil until the signal disappears. You will hear some clicks and a jagged signal and as you push forward again, just as the signal come in again the same thing. A coin signal is much smoother in the same situation. This is with almost no discrimination. If you bump disc up, it is much harder to tell the difference. I also have the 6 inch concentric. I really don't have a preference between them, a little wider pattern for one and maybe a little deeper for the other but with the high mineralization here (according to my T2 as between 250 and 750 micro-cgs), I am not so sure the DD isn't just as deep.

If I set my discrimination to MAX on a Tesoro using a DD(Wide Scan) coil, will crown bottle caps be discriminated out?
I did some testing and here are the results...
I used 5 different brand caps, but they are not rusty.
Before testing I set my ground balance at about midpoint and these are air tests. or bench tests.
Each coil started giving less response to them at the notch below nickel and by the time I got to one notch below max, they were basically gone except for a blip now and then.
I have a high tone Vaquero and I can really tell the difference in signals better.. especially iron.
I have not used the Vaquero for a while, but it does well in bottle caps from what I recall... even at low disc around nickel range.
Not sure if this is enough information or not, but in my opinion, both coils seem to respond about the same on crown caps from my tests.
Of course as you well know, in the ground things can be different.
I have a Musky that loves them til I dig them up and then won't make a peep on them.

Before testing I set my ground balance at about midpoint and these are air tests. or bench tests.
Each coil started giving less response to them at the notch below nickel and by the time I got to one notch below max, they were basically gone except for a blip now and then.
I have a high tone Vaquero and I can really tell the difference in signals better.. especially iron.
I have not used the Vaquero for a while, but it does well in bottle caps from what I recall... even at low disc around nickel range.
Not sure if this is enough information or not, but in my opinion, both coils seem to respond about the same on crown caps from my tests.
I have a Musky that loves them til I dig them up and then won't make a peep on them.
Nice work.
Hopefully my Tejon is the same.
Let ya know when I'm outta bed.

I really appreciate all the effort you put into the testing. Those were exactly the answers I was looking for. Thanks again for the great work!