Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Testing, 1, 2, 3

MajaPalra

My Quattro arrived today. I assembled it, turned it on, holding the power
button to make sure I had the Factory Presets, and thought I'd do a quick test.
I took it outside, selected Coin/Jewelry, put the coil on the ground,
hit Noise Cancel, swept it over a piece of ground with no signal,
and then put a gold ring down. I got plenty of signal so long as the coil
was right on top of it. I picked up the coil about a foot and nothing.
I then tried pressing Noise Cancel with the Quattro in the air, swept again
from about a foot -- nothing.

I also dug a small hole -- about 5-6 inches, dropped another ring gold ring
in it, then swept the open hole -- nothing.

Is this experience common to new Quattro users?

When you noise cancel, make sure the detectors on, you're in a mode such as Coin/Jewelry then sweep the ground first to make sure there's no metal underneath that spot on the ground THEN lay the coil on he ground and hit noise cancel but don't move the coil while it noise cancels. After it goes through the percentage deal on noise cancel and it plays a little song thing, THEN you can pick it up and try it. Make sure your moving the coil over the target while your in those modes as they require you to have the coil moving to detect the target. As far as I know the only time you can hold it still and detect the target is in the Pinpointing mode. Also, remember to swich back out of the pinpointing mode before you start "sweeping" for targets again. I would highly recommend Andy Sabisch's book Mastering the Quatro, if you don't already have it. He gets into some things that the owners manual doesn't even cover. Great book.

I think you got some excellent advice from BeachGuy. And as Shagger says, air tests are meaningless. There aren't too many machines I know of that will air test a gold ring at 1 foot. Of course that would depend on the ring in question.

But the detector reads the GROUND and detects objects IN the ground and identifies them by comparing them TO the ground. Which is why air tests are not too useful. As Shagger said, the Quattro has no problems in actual use on in-ground targets. So don't worry about air tests. Get out there and dig some stuff up. See what kind of depth you get on stuff in the ground.

Last night, my Sweetie and I went in the back yard
to do a little mine sweeping just for fun. I came
upon what I thought might be a promising target
from what I've read thus far. I dug a hole
and looked through the dirt but we didn't find anything.
We filled in the hole and went to bed. This morning at work,
she called me to say she'd gone out to look at the area where
we'd been digging and below some loose dirt we'd sifted
through, found a 1984 quarter laying in the grass "that could
use a little cleaning up". Not bad for a first hole.
How long is it until I get off work???