Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Best of the Best detector

C.J.M.

OK guys probably hard question to answer ,but here it is:In your life time of detecting you have seen just about every kind of detector from USA ---TO foreign detectors. So the saying still stands "THERE'S NO PERFECT DETECTOR" ,BUT Often wonder whats your opinion on The Best all around detector made regardless of price:rolleyes::shrug:.Thank you.

"Best" at what? Best for hunting gold nuggets? Or strictly a coin shooter? Best water machine? There will be many bests.

I'm 75 and have been detecting for something like 50 years. My first detector (back in early 70's?) was a Judge. As you suggested, many detectors over the years, and to me, to pick "the best" would be a pretty tough assignment. The best one I've had (and still have), for silver hunting, and really most other targets, would be the Sovereign GT. Excellent on the dry and wet sand beach as well. But only after learning the subtle sounds she whispers to me as she glides over a target. A bit heavy. But goes deep, and doesn't miss much.

I've had several Fisher CZ detectors, and they have been excellent on the beach and in the ocean. Hip-mounted, super easy to use, and rings loud and clear. A Minelab underwater machine may be better, but the CZ-20/21 is definitely more durable. You could stand on the control box, and not hurt it. Minelab is a fragile machine prone to many failures. Which one is the best?

My wife has been hunting with me for nearly 20 years, and she's good. She is small-frame person, and wants/needs a light-weight machine. I've had her try many machines, from Etracs, Xterra 705, CZ-20, several Fisher F-series, many Garretts, Simplex+, etc, and she will be quick to say "the best" detector is her Tesoro.... uncomplicated, tough and very light weight. With nearly a dozen machines to choose from, it is the only one she wants to use. I keep going back to the Sovereign.

Deus with 9" X-35 coil. But if I could only have 1 detector I would have to pick the Equinox 800 because I do a lot of salt water hunting in the summer. Hang in there C.J.M.

Whatever detector I learn. I have an equinox 800 and a ctx 3030. I use one for a week then the next week I use the other. I overlap my sweeps by 50% so when I work an area I don’t miss much. Then I turn 90 degrees and work it again. Then I work the same area at 45 degrees two different directions.

I think "all rounder" has to include a detector that does well both inland and on the beaches.In this respect i would say that minelabs multi frequency detectors are probaly the most accomplished.There are better detectors for searching amongst iron,better detectors for nugget hunting etc,etc but for something that will do well in most respects minelabs multi frequency machines are difficult to beat.There aren't any other detectors out there that will do both inland and coastal areas like the minelabs making them the ultimate all rounders.

Thank you guys at 80 still trying my best with 9 major surgeries its catching up with me. :rolleyes:
CJM, I wish you continued strength and healing, and be able to get back out to do some detecting. You don't need the deepest seeking, fastest response, best everything machine. The "best" detector, for you to get back to it, is the one you can comfortably swing, and I think you could have fun and finds with any of the machines today. So maybe something light weight, and easy to just turn on and go.

All the best to you.

To me with 20 plus years experience and of course many many different machines, my best detector is the one that I can use and dig very little trash but still feel like I didn't miss alot. We all will miss a good target here or there but in the end did you have a good time with the time you spent or were you frustrated?
I am sure all of us have been frustrated and that's no fun.
I have had fun with many machines thru the past. One of my most frustrating machines was my very first Minelab Explorer 2. Today though, that's a real silver killer.
If I had to have just one machine for my inland coin and relic hunting it would be the Deus with the X-35 coil.
The Nox, Etrac, Explorer, CTX, Deus, Soverign elite, Anfibio, Vaquero, Ace 250 all great machines if your having fun. For me my most fun machine hands down is the Deus.