Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The HP Program and Coinshooting!

rks1040

It has been so hot here lately that any kinda of outdoor activity is more like a chore,than fun. I went to the school yard today,and lasted about 45 minutes in the 90+ degrees heat. I only dug 4 coins,one was a toasted 41 Wheaties,a 79 memorial,and a 99 zinc! I was hunting my way back and got a faint signal with no TID,circled it and it just didn't sound right. It had some other tones mixed in with it?:confused: I decided to dig it anyway,and after finding 2 pull tab tails,I thought that was it. Ran the coil over the hole,and still had the faint signal,but it was sounding better this time. I dug down another 2 inches and found the 1934 Mercury dime in the bottom of the hole!:thumbup: What amazed me was the Deus being able to still signal the good target trough the trash at this depth. The dime was at 7 1/2 inches,the pull tab tails were at about 5-5 1/2 inches. The High Performance program is impressing me more all the time!:thumbup: How it can find coins and separate them from the trash, this deep in these dry conditions is amazing!:clapping:
00122_zpsd252b5a2.jpg
0057_zps28c4e077.jpg
0065_zps13ad458d.jpg

Wow, that is impressive, and a nice find! Congrats. For the sake of us ramping up our programs & adjustments, were you using the "stock" settings as outlined in the book? Or did you make some adjustments in the field for your particular circumstances. I'm particularly interested in your reactivity setting. Because I hunt so many trashy parks (pull tabs, beavertails, and screw caps more so than iron) I've assumed that I needed higher reactivity. But I'm seeing some benefits of the lower reactivity setting, too. So I'm curious if you got that odd tone that made you check & dig with a low or high reactivity?

Thanks in advance.
Rich

I have the reactivity set at 1 ! If I have a hard time making out the signal,I run it up to 4 and listen for the faint signal amongst the trashy ones. The best tip I have found is when lot's of trash,slow the swing down------------,a lot. Then once a good sound is found,really slow it down as you pass the coil over the target,from a couple of directions. Yea,it's the (stock,book) program,the High Performance Coin Hunting Program.:thumbup: This program is "Smoki'n" Hot on Coins!:thumbup:

Thanks for the reply rks1040. Trust me, I have lots of practice at going slow. And multiple directions. At reactivity =4 I think the slightly clipped sound throws me off, which is why I'm discovering that I really like the reactivity =1 if the area can handle it. Maybe it's hearing the longer tone -- even if right on top of another tone -- makes it easier for me to identify it. So I think I'll continue to do the same, keep it at 1 as much as possible, and in those REALLY dense areas bump it up to 3 or 4 as needed.

Still curious, when you found all of those items in the same hole, what was your reactivity set at when you heard it (if you remember)? Were you at 1 or 4? Or you heard something at 1 that made you switch to 4, and that's what convinced you to dig?

Thanks,
Rich

Rich,I was using a reactivity setting of 1 when I found it,then switched over to 4 to really try and pin point the coin! This doesn't work all the time. The other day I found a deep coin,and when I ran the reactivity up the tone disappeared?:unsure: Apparently I was about as deep as the Machine could go! In that situation,I went just the opposite and ran the reactivity down to 0,got a little more depth,and picked the tone back up,a little stronger!Once I could hear it better,I just went for it!:thumbup: Another trick I use sometimes,is to run the discrimination lower. The machine will get a little chatty,if you go too low,but I can run it at 5 in most places,I feel it gives me a little more depth! Ron

rks1040 said:
Rich,I was using a reactivity setting of 1 when I found it,then switched over to 4 to really try and pin point the coin! This doesn't work all the time. The other day I found a deep coin,and when I ran the reactivity up the tone disappeared?:unsure: Apparently I was about as deep as the Machine could go! In that situation,I went just the opposite and ran the reactivity down to 0,got a little more depth,and picked the tone back up,a little stronger!Once I could hear it better,I just went for it!:thumbup: Another trick I use sometimes,is to run the discrimination lower. The machine will get a little chatty,if you go too low,but I can run it at 5 in most places,I feel it gives me a little more depth! Ron

The Reactivity allows the Deus to pick goodies from amongst the trash that litters many sites which is what sets the Deus apart from other detectors. The trade-off is that detection depth is lost as Reactivity is increased. But remember, depth is not always the answer . . . target separation can often tip the scales.

Earlier this year I hit an old county fairground site that had 75 years of trash packed into the ground along with the coins and other keepers. Even with a small coil, other detectors struggled pulling good targets from the trash. The Deus with the 9" coil and Reactivity at "4" + Silencer at "2" unlocked the area's remaining valuables. Virtually every plug showed a coin along with several pieces of trash sticking out of the plug or side of the hole. The targets were not deep - 6" or less - but the separation was the key which the Deus provided. At other sites, depth was more important and a Reactivity setting of "1" will be the better choice.

I find that dropping the DISC level to gain depth is not my preferred option as the chatter is a distraction . . . . the difference is not a great deal - when you get a faint signal, try dropping the DISC level and check the target - the difference is not all that much . . . changing Reactivity will have a much greater impact on detection depth.

Being flexible in the settings you opt for and understanding what you are gaining or giving up as you make adjustments is the key to making the Deus find all it can in any given area. The menu is easy enough to navigate through so making slight changes as conditions dictate is easy.

Andy

I make a lot of "adjustments" on the fly,while hunting. I hope the buttons don't wear out!:lol: