Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Old SE Is Sick

K.B.

Awhile back the old SE that has made some nice finds, (not a fan of the 12 line) began Falsing out in the woods no matter the sens setting or changing coils and continually became worse to the point of retirement. Lately I've been looking for a fix. Some say it's a shielding problem. I have the tools, materials and aptitude to get her up and running. So if you've experienced this or can point me forward a fix, I would be quite thankful.

Awhile back the old SE that has made some nice finds, (not a fan of the 12 line) began Falsing out in the woods no matter the sens setting or changing coils and continually became worse to the point of retirement. Lately I've been looking for a fix. Some say it's a shielding problem. I have the tools, materials and aptitude to get her up and running. So if you've experienced this or can point me forward a fix, I would be quite thankful.
K.B….as an auto mechanic I can say that the best way of finding a problem(as long as we’re not talking about using a computer to diagnose) is to separate and isolate. So, take the cable off the back of the machine completely…NO coil attached…does it still act silly? If so, factory reset it. Still weird? You’re going to have to crack the control pod open. There are a series of stacked boards in there, be careful. Just have a look in there with a good penlight to see if you have any bulging caps or corrosion. My guess is that you’ll see SOMETHING. Much past that I’m of no use…

Buy yourself a new detector for Christmas, I'm still running my Explorer SE pro. Still good machines but I'd upgrade at first inkling of a problem.

Hmmm,

I've had an XS since the bronze age and have seen the problem you describe before. Every time it was caused by a bad coil wire; usually in the 5 pin coil connector. You can take them apart and look for a broken/loose wire. If you have already tried swapping coils or trying no coil as IDX suggested it may be that the problem is in the connector on the control side, or wiring leading to it.

If you are handy it is not all that difficult to take the whole machine apart and check the connections. Unseat and reseat the two PC boards, ring out the wires from PC board to connector.

Totally agree on 12 line. I recently bought a Explorer II as back up for my XS. \

Chris(SoCenWI)

Hmmm,

I've had an XS since the bronze age and have seen the problem you describe before. Every time it was caused by a bad coil wire; usually in the 5 pin coil connector. You can take them apart and look for a broken/loose wire. If you have already tried swapping coils or trying no coil as IDX suggested it may be that the problem is in the connector on the control side, or wiring leading to it.

If you are handy it is not all that difficult to take the whole machine apart and check the connections. Unseat and reseat the two PC boards, ring out the wires from PC board to connector.

Totally agree on 12 line. I recently bought a Explorer II as back up for my XS. \

Chris(SoCenWI)
I've been switching 4 coils between the SE and Etrac for quite a while. All 4 coils operate normal on the Etrac but for the past few times these coils make no difference with the SE falsing issue. So that rules out the coils. When the SE becomes unstable/ falsing, the cursor stays on the 30 line from 00-30 down to mid-screen, like it's detecting positive hot rocks. I've tried factory preset, all different settings, noise cancel. Even fasling with coil over head. More than once lately my Etrac began continually faIsing for no reason. I disconnected the coil cable and blew into both connections and it operated normal for the remainder of the day. Does thick fog or high humidity coupled with age affect these detectors ? I'll use my multimeter and your suggestions hopefully soon.

It's in the coil connector that you hook the coils up to I'd take a little circuit board cleaner to it