Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The sound of gold

A

Anonymous

I was out hunting today and didn't find any gold but near the end I heard the smooth sound (168 if I remember correctly). It was a brass carb jet but at least I heard it and I'm going to listen for it from now on. Some signals make a bump sound right at the start and some make a cut-off sound at the end. Some make a wow sound in the middle, but I know now the gold sound is smoother, cleaner, softer.

what you speak of is very good...thats the ticket the sov. will let you know what it has seen...sometimes on a pull tab the sov. will kinda bark during the middle of the signial..where a nickel it may be a bit broken but not barky...the sov. has so mant different little quirks that once you start to recognize them you will know what you running over before you dig it...those tones and wiffs and barks and slight blips all mean something and it has taken me a while to understand what the sov. is saying...but once you see it its a beautiful thing.......take care..... sounds like your starting to see some different stuff that will undoubtly lead to some great finds....keep up the good work

I would recommend taking a number of gold jewelry items and laying them out on a blanket on some clean ground and sweep them so you can see what they sound like. While there may be some larger gold rings and stuff that will come in with a signal like that brass jet at 168, MOST of your gold stuff will have a signal a good bit lower than that...lower in number and lower in tone.

However the Sov. has a language of its own and good target will have that round sound that is smooth..Many junk targets that mimic gold will just be ratty, not smooth etc. No exact way to tell for instance a gold ring from a tab, but one can sure cut down the odds..Even those elusive silver coins will be more mellow in audio that for instance a wheatie which may be close on the meter. Seems since meters are prevalent in this era in days gone by without meters fellow did quite well by listening for the audio variances...So indeed do use the meter but back it up with the tell tale audio as to a trained ear does work..

Brass nuts and washers, fishing sinkers, lead bullets.............
You could get some sinkers or muzzleloader balls of various sizes and give them a good wack with a hammer to sqash them out like a button or coin.
The object is to find some items that are not as conductive as copper/silver that will be thick enough and symmetrical enough not to sound like the thin aluminum trash or to be too highly conductive.
hh

I think it will take a while of digging some trash to beable to tell the difference, but like you say that jet seem to sound smoother. I find this to be the same as the Gold I have got just didnt sound like the normal trash item that is ususaly that number on the meter. I find that if the tone and numbers dont seem to match it will be a target I want to dig. The one I got was a 140-141 which is where my beaver tails read,but the tone was smoother sounding and almost sounded like a nickle, plus was deeper sounding than a beaver tail normaly is, so i dug it. Another one read 163, but sounded almost like a 174 would sound and it too was smoother sounding, so I dug it. I also dig a lot of trash too, but it seems to work for me to dig anything that sounds smoother and differnt than the normal trash I hear.
Rick

Rick adds some good info, but will take a bit to get the audio and meter correlated...Also might add some parks and areas are just littered with a specific pulltab or two once you get the ID number of these it will also cut down the odds as after digging a few you won't in future...

Thanks for all the replies. I realize I have a lot to learn but at least I feel I am on the right track.

Hi Mike
I tried as many as 70 different rings and a lot of other types of jewelry, I tried the pull tabs I have collected and have about 100 or so and they end up mostly registering as basically two types that are slightly in different conductive ranges.
Most of the gold rings I have tested are in lady size and thinner than a man's ring would be.
All from 22k to 10k gold and some plated .
There is a definite lower sound on most the gold rings than any brass stuff I tested, the pulltabs are mostly higher sounding also, the exception are larger mens gold rings that sound like one of the pulltabs, the lower conductive tab.
I'm starting to get the hang of the sov a little better each time I use it.
Today I went back to a place I was the last three days and scanned the exact same ground with a cz70Pro and the gt sov over again. I slowed way down with my search technique with the sov and I pulled out 16 coins from the same ground I went over both with the gt sov and cz earlier. Also got a silver dime I missed and I guess a lot of others missed. Its a real worked over place I was in. I choose this place because it has a very heavy accumilation of iron and also has the modern accumilation of replentishment pulltabs and foul. Makes for a good place to possibly find missed stuff.
I also was using the smaller 7-1/4 inch tornado coil instead of the 10 inch coil , trying to see if I could get better separation in all the iron, I still hit the silver dime around 7 to 8 inches deep among the iron which is small piece of wire looking stuff partially bent in a half circle , looks kind of like wire from those small short fences placed around flowers or plants people don't want to run over with their lawn mowers.
Since I have about 25 hrs practice on the gt now I have learned to be able to set it up for a very good much clearer sound then when I first used it. Also learned how to set up the notch to knock out both types of pulltabs and still find every thing above and below including nickels. When the coil passes over a notched out item it will give a high treshold sound after the null, so I know I Passed over a pulltab or something with the same type of conductivity if I want to do a check out dig. Of course the sov makes those threshold tone changes over stuff that is nulled either iron or something being discriminated . This is the first detector I have been able to accomplish knocking out both types of pulltabs and still find nickels with a solid signal tone. Every coin I found today was a solid two way clear tone. I even get a slightly lower clad tone then the silver highest tone.
Getting a little easier to recognize differences.
Any other solid tones I dug for a look see , was stuff I did not have notched or discriminated out with some lower tones like a small brass key I found. A large aluminum foil( cigarette pack) came in loud but registered the low tone foil hit. I knew it was big junk from the sound and size area the hit made.
This Sov has so many different ways of responding to targets along with the tone variations it's a detector unlike anything I ever used. ( going to be using it exclusively because of this ) to learn its language. I would not be so fussy if I where just beach combing with it though. Just dig every thing and listen for the deep stuff.
HH
Dan R.