Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Trump card in metal detecting...

• Thread starter calabash digger
  • Start date
Great commentary Calabash. I've been doing this for 30 years and there's too constants i'm sure of.. 1. A lot of people have too many machines instead of learning the one their comfortable with. I would only own the Deus were it not for needing one that's a little better in water. 2. While I'm not a dig it all guy I think most of us probably don't dig enough. There are too many varables that alter the numbers. One more thing. Since I know the settings on your relic program, I will bet you dig the big iron on a battle site(hehe)

I take metal detecting as a hobby to be enjoyable and have fun. On my farm in east middle Georgia I've counted over 30 houses and barns that was on this property from the early 1800's. Most are long gone but so much iron was left that I would go nuts trying to dig it all which would be impossible. I don't sell my relics although I've given some good ones away over the years, esp. to school kids. Over the years I've dug literally hundreds of pounds of iron of every size, shape and weight including a few guns. In a field I can take a nap, drink a cold beer, watch wild life and maybe detect a little. At my age I don't give a rats a__ if I don't dig every target today. I'm sure it'll be there tomorrow. Don't know if I will be but that's life. Enjoy it. To me it's not a race. but a day by day of getting the most out of life ----even with a nap and a beer thrown in.

Mkus said:
Good video calabash I always do my best to hunt areas that are or were well traveled heck yesterday I stopped at a small rest area I could have spent all afternoon digging junk!
But I stuck to conductive targets and it worked I had a penny signal on my 800 nox low and behold a beautiful 1835 capped bust half dime!
I almost did not dig that "penny signal"
Mark

Great find !! I've found a few silver dimes that had the same ID as copper pennies and nowadays, I dig every single penny signal in places I know older silver coins can be found.

I know trimes and seated coins come in lower than mercs… also Spanish silver comes in lower....

Well, I HAVE been detecting, off and on for 40 years!
And I'm here to tell ya, I don't know $#!%! (Slight exageration!)

Some of us "old dogs" also had other interests. Bass Fishing.
Pro Musician. Chasing girls & catching my fair share etc...

I'd be a complete fool to compare my 40 years of OFF & ON
experience to even those kids I see on Youtube diggin tons of lead
& brass outta the Ga. woods!

Sure, I could teach a thing or two. Using a probe and a screwdriver
to pop shallow coins instead of a shovel. (Youtube cracks me up &
often makes me mad!) Lowering sensitivity when needed. Patience.
& going the extra mile to leave a permission cleaner than when I
found it just to name a few. But...

Hand ME a Nox & I'll quickly wish I had my old Whites TR!

WHY am I on a few forums when I find the time? To brag? LOL
Well, I could a little but no. It's to LEARN often from those half
my age!

Fun thread!

Dan

I always chuckle when I get this card played on me in a thread....[video]

Keep in mind though that the better detectorist may not be the better treasure hunter/finder. To give just one example- If you have 3 residential lots to search , such as a demolition site, playing with/using different settings on your machine may allow a detectorists to get more out of the area they are detecting.
The treasure hunter will take advantage of the time they may have at the site and cover more ground while the area is available to them. The treasure hunter will not waste time by using different settings, different techniques etc.

If a person has more available ground to detect than time to detect their available ground, they need to decide if they are going to put the emphasis on being a detectorist or being a treasure hunter.

The more advanced machine and the more skill in taking advantage of what the machine has to offer can be a great asset. The old-timer with 30 or 40 years experience may know when not to take advantage of the technology and outperform the detectorist by concentrating on being a treasure hunter. :)