Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The X-Terra 50 searches for a gopher trap.

BobH

Yesterday my wife's father called and told us he couldn't find his gopher trap. He thought a gopher had pulled it underground and wondered if I'd mind running a detector over the area. I told him I didn't think a gopher could move down a trap larger than his tunnel and besides it's mostly plastic, but he insisted I try to find it. The path of least resistance was to load the X-Terra 50 in the car and drive the 7 miles over to his house. When we got there he showed me where he'd placed the trap in his back yard grass a few days earlier and I fired up my detector in all metal. I could only find one signal that seemed larger than the numerous nails. I heard a good low iron tone, but also a mid low tone with semi-steady 15 & 18 readings. There seemed to be something besides iron down there - maybe a nickel. No, it was an old signet GOLD RING! What a pleasant surprise! And a little deeper a bent 5" piece of thick steel wire. I'm sure glad I had enough experience with the XT-50 to know there was a good target possibility.

My father-in-law lost this ring in 1951 when he was seeding his future lawn. He had completely forgotten about it, but when he saw it the memories kicked in and his facial expressions were priceless. The ring had been given to him by his father who had received it from his father. The whole family is excited about this find. It's unmarked, but it looks to be 10K and needs a cleaning after being buried for 54 years. It reads 15 out of the ground.

I eyeballed the gopher trap later over between the fence and woodpile. Perhaps a larger critter found a dead gopher in the trap and pulled it over there.
<br><br>
<center>[attachment 12763 dortring.jpg]</center>