Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Think i just found my first gold ring!

Itsjustagreat1

So today i was back at my uncles land where the butterfield trail crossed and found a couple gold plated buttons , eagle button and an 1881 indian penny. I had a signal in the 40-50 range on my at pro so i dug it up expecting it to be another .22 short shell casing. Much to my surprise it was a ring. It was black colored so i figured it was junk. Well i took it home and decided to do a little electrolisis to clean it a bit to see if it had a makers stamp so i could try to date it. After a little while i started to see a shinier color to it. Still thinking it was junk, i used some jewelers polish on it and it started shining up and then i saw the stamp 18k! It is definately not plated and weighs 5.66 grams. I believe it has been there for over 100 years and the ground has had lots of fertilizer put on it when crops were planted so i am thinking that could have turned it black. I am gonna have it checked at a jeweler to be sure but i am excited!

Very cool find its gotta be an old one.

I have found several old wedding bands that were stamped 18k but they were all gold plated brass rings. Apparently, one hundred years ago it was okay to stamp plated rings. Hope I'm wrong but I am thinking that is what you have. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

By the looks of it I'm with Kansa54. I have found 100 year old rings marked 14k that turned out to be brass. Just seems like yours should be a lot shinier. Sure hate to be a bubble burster. It makes for a great conversation piece though.
Have it checked and if its real, come back and blow us all a raspberry.

That looks like a plated ring, copper or brass with gold plate over it.