Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

This is what door knocking is all about! Single best night I've had.

TrpnBils

So over the past few months I've finally grown a set, put on my big boy pants, and gotten comfortable with door-knocking and I have to say it's been generally a positive experience so far. I've met a lot of cool people, and tonight was no exception. I've been working this 1799 house off and on for 9 months or so with very little to show for it, and I decided to hit a nearby house that used to be part of the original homestead tonight. I ended up talking to the lady for probably 45 minutes and learned a little about the house. She's a retired teacher from the same school my wife and I teach now, so we spent some time BSing about other teachers...who's there, who's dead, and how crazy things were back in the day (I was unaware that they were still using corporal punishment in our district as late as the late 80's!). Lots in common, and I have an open invitation to go back any time I want, which is good, because I would bet money on this being virgin ground and right from the start tonight (I actually hunted it for maybe 90 minutes) it was easily the best night of metal detecting I've had, and I've barely covered any ground.

The house is 90 years old, there is hardly ANY trash, and all targets so far have been shallow (within 4"). I'm heading back Sunday and will be going straight for one particular tree, because when I was leaving, she was telling me about how she has pictures of when the house was built and the original owners used to hang their hammock from these particular trees (the hooks are still hanging from the trees). There's also a lot of CW history in the area and I've dug bullets at the original 1799 house before (which is less than 1/4 mile away). The history of the house shows that the occupants at the time sat out on the porch and watched the troops march past (and I've got evidence of a camp in their yard in the form of melted 3-ringers).

Anyway, here it goes: 1) Pieces of a pocket watch, no face or case yet, but I'm hoping..., 2) Two thimbles, 3) Five wheats ranging 1936 to 1954, 4) 10c token for Colgate's Dental Ribbon Cream, 5) "Golden Showers" plant tag (only because I'm juvenile and this made me laugh), 6) Good luck token, 7) Fired musketball, :geek: 1928P Mercury Dime, 9) 1916P Buffalo Nickel, 10) 1898P Indian Head Penny, 11) 1943 2 Francs coin

Can anybody give me any more info on the 2 Franc coin? I thought German, but the more I look around I think it might be French.

People are more receptive than I thought they'd be. I've been turned down a handful of times, but I've only had one guy look at me like I had two heads so far. I'd say I've got about an 80% permission rate in the past month or so.

Any pointers on the language you use. I dont look at it , as having no 8alls. Personally, Ive never been an imposer. I usually struggle thru every project without asking for help. But maybe thats just how im camouflaging it. Anyway, glad your having success and would like to hear how.
HH

well, I realize that what I'm asking is a little bit out of the ordinary to most people. I keep it pretty simple, usually I just tell them my name and shake their hand (seems to help) and ask them something along the lines of "I have kind of an odd request...I've been metal detecting for the past 10 years or so and am always on the lookout for older properties while I'm out and wondered if I could get your permission to detect your property for a little while" and it works the majority of the time.

G4E has something on his site about what he says too

You may be able to find your coin on this site. I have been able to identify some of my foreign coin finds by using it.

http://www.coincat.com/index.php

I did find it here actually: http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces299.html

It's French, from a time before the US became involved in the area, making it a time when the area was under German occupation

See I have NO luck at rentals...not because I don't find anything, but because I don't get the OPPORTUNITY to find anything. I always get "sorry, I rent, and my landlord lives in <somewhere not nearby>"

This is good stuff. I too have yet to start knocking. But the old homes in my town (founded in 1773) are soo enticing! Congrats on the finds! And btw... I laughed hysterically at "golden showers"

Sounds similar to mine. "Technically" ours was founded in 1802, but it was here in one form or another in 1748 when George Washington was doing some surveying in the area. The down side to here is that it's so SMALL that if I want to do much substantial hunting (curb strips, parks, etc) over a large area, I have to drive about 45 mins in any direction.

Looks like you found a goos spot, and maybe made a friend!

Amazing how well that Buff cleaned up. How did you clean it?

BryanM362 said:
Looks like you found a goos spot, and maybe made a friend!

Amazing how well that Buff cleaned up. How did you clean it?

Well here's the thing... I checked the date, and it's not worth anything really, and I have no intention of ever selling it (the same goes for everything else I dig, unless it's something that could pay for my detector), so I decided to try a few things I had read about. Other than water and a toothbrush, or the occasional peroxide bath on coppers, I never clean any coins that I find...and I know better than to do anything with a coin that's actually rare or valuable.

Anyway...It was RED when I dug it, and if you do a search for how to clean red nickels, a lot of people recommend soaking overnight in Worcestershire sauce (similar to what happens soaking a coin in vinegar/salt). That worked pretty well, but it left it a dark, slate gray color I wasn't real wild about, and if you look at the full size picture it definitely pitted the coin (or at least that's when I first noticed it, and other people have said the same). HOWEVER, it did do well at getting rid of the red. I shined it up with some fine steel wool to get what you see above. Again, I would never do this to a coin that was worth anything...

^I have some nickels Id like to try that on - most of the Buffs I find are dateless and beyond any hope of "restoration". But eventually you or I will dig that key date nickel and I dont want to tumble it like I do the clad. Worcestershire sauce, eh? :)

CZconnoisseur said:
^I have some nickels Id like to try that on - most of the Buffs I find are dateless and beyond any hope of "restoration". But eventually you or I will dig that key date nickel and I dont want to tumble it like I do the clad. Worcestershire sauce, eh? :)

I'll tell you what, there is still a little red on the back of the nickel and the steel wool didn't do jack for taking that off....it was all the worcestershire sauce! seriously!