Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Threshold question on Explorer SE

Tony N (Michigan)

Sometimes when I'm detecting I completely lose my threshold sound. Only when I stop swinging it returns.

If I'm swinging while I don't hear a threshold, will I be losing out on some deep coins?

Yes, you very well could be. Although the users manual states that you can pick up good targets with no threshold present. When the threshold tone quits it means you are over iron of course. This is where you need to have extreme patience and time to kill. If I have time I will creep over the iron-laden area, literally sweeping the coil just fast enough to bring the threshold tone back. Although sometimes the ground is so trashy you can't do this. Have I ever popped a coin in this situation ? Never have .. but that's how you see though the junk .. creep slow enough to keep the threshold tone present. Very hard to do if you don't have the time or patience.

Thanks McDave. There are square cut iron nails all through the yards at this farm I detect. One part in particular I lose my threshold. It must be loaded with those nails in that area.

I switch to auto sense for a period of time when I get long. silent nulls. You'll lose depth in auto but the iron nulls pretty much smothers the goodies under it anyway.

My hunt buddy who has ran an SE for a along time says the SE is still detecting during nulls. Mike is an amazing SE operator. I still have my reservations in this case . I'm barely into my first year with my SE though.

The next time you get in an area where your detector is nulling, Slit the ground at an angle with your digger and slip a clad dime in the slit about 4 inches down and see if it hits the dime while your detector is nulling.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
Sometimes when I'm detecting I completely lose my threshold sound. Only when I stop swinging it returns.

If I'm swinging while I don't hear a threshold, will I be losing out on some deep coins?

I've found searching in all metal makes it so everything resets very quickly when going over iron. The more iron is disced out the more time
I have to wait for threshold to come back.

In iron infested areas I will run in ferrous sounds with iron mask almost wide open. You'll have to put up with all of the iron bonks but it's easier to pick out good signals between the iron hits. It's like embracing the iron hits rather than trying not to hearing them at all.