Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Threshold question

yogaguy

Hi All. I was just on another minelab forum called minelabowners.com. I was reading something about how this guy felt he was getting ghost signals from his detector. A few of the suggestions someone offered him was that his sensitivity could be too high (that he may have to take it off auto. and lower it manually),or if he didn't have a constant threshold then he would have to adjust to get a constant threshold. I noticed myself, at times, that I will be hunting and as I sweep my threshold sound will disappear? I first thought I was sweeping to fast possibly so I slowed my swing down, but I was still losing my threshold. So I was just wondering what this usually means when you sweep and your threshold disappears? I realize it goes quiet as you pass over discriminated targets, but either I passed some "very large" discriminated targets, or something has to be adjusted differently. Any suggestions and advice are appreciated. Thank's. Sincerely, Randy

Hello,

Try this:

Reset you Quattro to default settings (push power on and hold it "in" until you hear the Musical sound [and it stops])

Hold the Quattro completely still and press Noise Cancel once and don't move the Quattro until all the tones complete (100% on display).

Is the Threshold louder?

Try it that way, should work properly.

Remember a small metal flake can cause the null to occur. You can switch to All Metal mode and swing in the same spot and you should hear a tone, not get a null.

If it still does not act properly check the connection where the cable joins the control box. make sure it is screwed tight.

I had a little accident and cracked the coil shell where it joins the shaft. I had the problem that you are describing. It had water in the coil. Hope that is not your issue.

"don't move until 100% is finished". Why? I guess I am alittle impatient and turn the machine on way before the sand and by the time I have walked on the beach, my 100% is finished. I am moving the entire time.

Ina, you din't happen to read the book did you? :lol: The Noise Cancel must be done in a clean spot with no other metal around. You find that spot, sit the coil down there, press Noise Cancel, and wait for it to go through to 100%. When the threshold comes back, NOW you can move. There is no other correct way to do this.

The noise cancel is to find the right channel to run so it dont pick up any stray signal that can give you a problem. Now if you dont keep the coil still it will see some signal from trash or good target which now shows as interference when checking that channel of freq, so it will not pick that channel to run as there was interference. Now you have just defeated the purpose of this noise cancel and it is all possible that the Quattro will have a channel that is made for area with a lot of interference which I know then will lose performance big time.
I just hold my coil above the ground about 6 inches and hold it still while doing a noise cancel, this way even if I moved slightly it shouldnt pick up a signal but yet still see the ground and any interference there is.

Ina shouldn't have ANY trouble finding a clean spot and doing the noise cancel flat on the ground, as she only hunts the beach. The only problem I see now is all the stuff she's going to be finding with a proper noise cancel. There won't be any left for the rest of us!

Ah, she's my buddy. We arranged to meet down at the beach one day and I showed her everything I knew about the Quattro. Except I guess I forgot to mention that you can't do a noise cancel while running down to the beach... :rofl:

She's going to be raking it in now!

Just :poke: you a little! I could tell by all the previous posts that y'all are friends! Seems the entire bunch of y'all up there are friends and enjoy the camaraderie very much. Don't have that down here. I really enjoy reading the posts from all of you! One of these days I'm going to take a few days vacation, strap the Quattro to the rack and ride the Harley up there! (btw, hope your new "blades" rolled as good as they looked!)

http://www.oldcoastguardstation.com/towercam.htm

Hello,

Thanks! I remember going there a few times when I lived in Richmond and sailed the Bay! That's a nice place. Enjoyed the movies etc. Wow, that has been a long time ago! Thanks again!

Bring it on, man! Come on down and lets do the all-nighter thing with the Minelabs and the bling.

The blades were awesome...a quantum leap over the old ones. I went out and had the finest 6 mile blast up and down the boardwalk ever. I'm actually going to be doing it again in the morning, round about 5 or 6 am. Heh, heh...I have the day off tomorrow. So doing a 1 to 5 am hunt and then the rollerblade thing. If the detecting doesn't work out, the blading will. :)

I took the Quattro out for a stretch of the legs. I took it to a local school yard that gets cleaned out by other THers. They seem to only hunt the shavings around the playground equipment, and don't put a coil on the grassy areas. The grassy areas are really trashy and I too have often avoided it. But that's where I put the Quattro today. Came out of there with a little over a dollars worth of change in about 30 minutes of hunting. It loves Quarters!

Anyway I noticed what you were describing in your message...i.e. the threshold going null in certain places. I too thought it might be sweep speed and I slowed down. Then I got an idea...I put it in all metal and just listened. Those null spots for me were iron readings that read -10. I don't know whether that is just the soil here or whether it actually has that much iron in it. The more I play with the Quattro the more I like it but it also makes me wonder about getting an Explorer some day or trading up to one. For right now though, the Quattro is plenty of ID machine for me. What it can't do the Tejon will and vice versa. I think it's gonna be a good duo.

Daniel, you know what?? You just gave me a shot in the arm to try and pursue some of the grassy areas too. We've got a major park here in San Diego that has a whole bunch of grass, but it also has a bunch of park and recreation guys that drive around in those little white trucks so I've been scared to even try and dig in the grass. I really don't know how serious that is as far as getting in trouble with the "powers that be" there in the park, but I'll bet there's been some coins and stuff lost on the grass over the years.
I wish I could get some feed back on that matter and maybe a tip or two on the best way to dig a plug in the grass that would go back in the whole and look good afterword. Should I sneek down there in the middle of the night or do it in broad daylight. I would think at night the cops might get you or one of the perverts that lives there in the park at night. What a trip, but I'm getting pretty hot to dig some holes out there.
AS far as you're null thing and finding all the iron in all metal mode, I would think, at least, that if you're "ground balancing" with the noise cancel on some "clean" ground, i.e. no metal, you should be hearing real iron burried in the ground instead of just extraneous noise, but maybe we need to get one of the experts in on this. I would try digging some of it and see if it's really iron or just noise. The other hint, I would think is, if you can't get repetable, seperate signals, you might have some kind of cituation there. Any way, good luck and let's see if you get some more answers here. Marc Trainor.:geek: