Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

to: amberjack...about your Gold Bug Pro and coin finds...

I like answers too; learning is always good -- I like to know the "hows and whys," to help make decisions; that's why I ask so many questions! :)

There's so much to learn, and ALWAYS someone somewhere who knows more than I do!

Steve

Sometimes we do this to have fun too (remember)

sgoss66 said:
Very cool chart; here's my question.

In electrical applications, gold is (as I understand it) usually considered a higher-end choice (better conductor of electricity??) than copper, copper of course being better than aluminum. However, in metal detecting terms, gold is considered a "low" conductor. This confuses me.

In any case, yes I do think you are spoiled, with 1500 mi. of beaches, and not alot of detectorists! That's awesome!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Gold isnt considered a higher end conductor but gold plating is used in places where corrosion can occur. People often get that confused with gold being a higher conductor. Silver is at the top just as amberjack has listed and copper right below it. I would imagine if silver were cheaper it might be used for the electrical wiring in our homes but its the other way around.
as you probably know silver and copper will tarnish and corrode but gold isnt gonna do that. Ive read thats why it called a precious metal so I will also guess that platinum doesnt corrode but Im not sure.
Neil

Neil --

I had thought about that possibility -- maybe gold is used because it's one of few metals that will NOT corrode...and now you have confirmed it for me. It all makes sense now. Silver highest conductivity, but can't use it for wiring much due to cost; copper next, and cheaper, thus used for wiring; gold plating used to prevent corrosion in some applications like higher end audio and video connnections. PERFECT info. Thanks, Neil, for the education. I just LOVE it when something is not clear in my mind, and someone offers that piece of info that makes that "light bulb" go off and then it all makes sense in my head!! :)

Steve

very good guys now this problem is solved on to the next one? 3 heads are better than one oh unless of cause they all belong to the same person :rofl:

i did find a small cut off a copper water pipe size of a ring it hit hard and the silver rings i have found hit hard to with unmoving TDI numbers now for the gold ring to see how it goes.

how did the bug go Steve you are happy?

gold will come have no doubt about that :clapping:

beat my coin record today just trying out some new ideas and going maybe where others don't it must have worked :fisher:BUG learn just a little bit more!

I love the Bug at this point, amberjack. Am headed out this afternoon on the first real hunt with it; it will be only a few hour hunt, and will split time with it and my F70 -- but I'll know a bit better after today how well it works for me. I plan to hunt again some tomorrow, too -- so I should have something more to share about it by then.

I'm hoping you are right that the gold will come; my first gold, and my first silver coin, will both be cause for celebration!! Best finds so far have been that silver ring, and a couple of really old wheat pennies (in the U.S., our "modern" pennies have the Lincoln Memorial on the back; but, from 1909 to 1958, the backs of pennies were different, with two stalks of wheat on them. Usually, finding wheat pennies implies you are in a site where finding silver coins is also possible, as our dimes and quarters were minted of 90% silver up to and including 1964). When I find my first silver coin, and my first gold jewelry (or coin), you might hear the celebration all the way down there in Australia, mate!

Congrats on topping your coin record, and the "creative" thinking, there, amberjack!! That's some cool stuff!

Steve

Hi Steve

maybe you wont put the Bug down? :detecting:

hope the hunt goes/went well :clapping: hope i hear ya cheering loud !!

you guys have lots of silver to find that would be right i found a 1965 US quarter 1st year of clad :bouncy: are the wheat Penny's rare?

i am learning am on my 4th battery so have done some time with the machine i like the beach sense its easy to dig i think has speeded up the learning process i know i have dug a lot of targets :wiggle: just my 3rd week tomorrow with the Bug and just seen my Whites DF PI has cleared customs so will be with me very soon i seen some good spots to try it at low tide!

i watched a guy down the beach just doing the flags i went walk about try some new theory's out i love it when a plan comes together found 3 $2 coins in one hole so much beach to do!

i always wanted to go back in time and do somethings different and i recon detecting is as close as i am going to get!

i want to get a video camera and make a few vids maybe it will be fun being on TV :unsure:

so good luck and hope to hear some good reports :clapping:

great stuff amberjack! Good job being creative; yes, I think "beach digging" will speed up the learning curve -- more targets dug in less time. I'm just amazed that you have used up four batteries in three weeks! That's alot of hunting!!

Maybe I WON'T put the Bug down, amberjack. You are not the first person to say that my F70 may be collecting more dust than I think, but I really am coming to love that machine, and the Bug won't beat it, in terms of pure depth. It's a DEEP machine. But it is definitely more "fatiguing" than it appears the Bug will be -- it's WAY noisier/chattier.

As for wheat pennies, no, I would not say they are "rare;" being worth less, many more people carried more of them back then, so obviously many more were dropped. It seems that some detectorists feel that roughly a 5-1 to 10-1 ratio, of wheat pennies to silver coins, is what you can expect; i.e. for every 5 to 10 wheats, you will find one silver.

What did you mean by, you saw a guy "doing the flags?"

Also, glad to hear your White's PI machine is almost there; should be lots of fun to try that out, too!! Let us know...

And yes, videos are always fun to watch; if you get a cool find on video, be sure to share!

Steve

Hi Steve

its fun just trying some new places that people go to but might not be detected because they do the flags the red yellow flags are where the life guards are and the flags are what they put out for people to swim between so they can be seen but lots of people don't go there they go to other places, so the flags are most populated by people but also detectorists.

i haven't used the 70 so cant say i understand the noise though bug runs silent so is not so taxing hey, my ex-Terra runs a back ground noise so does they whites to from what i understand, i like the bug is DISC no noise runs silent till a target i have dug some holes that's fore sure but have loved everyone of them from what i understand this PI machine like goes deep and is raw power no DISC just maybe some double beeps on long iron so will be labour intensive but deep so i understand why you would like the F70 if its deeper!

i just will use the Gold Bug for dry sand clean out the dry then take DF PI and see whats under neither the bug and for wet sand the DF PI as well there was some great sand banks today only 2in's of water and usually its 2 foot or more deep the full and no moon is good for the beach on low tide for water hunting, but i am yet to see whats there but cant wait :clapping:

oh i see with the wheat's its like a good sign which makes sense if they are the era hope you get some silver getting those now is good hey silver prices are up.

i really wanted to do like a detecting vid on nosies the machine makes and how to check out signals and what they might mean i was wondering if i could plug the vid camera into the small jack hole and get the sound of the machine happening through that on to the video and do a voice over latter?

something else to learn doing vids and with my accent it might be fun for you guys to hear :blink:

have to see if the old man will let me use his or come do it for me that might be fun , anyway see what happens.

good luck out there and may your beeps be solid !!

amberjack --

I understand now about the flags, thanks. Yeah, hearing the accent on your vids would be interesting, as I'm sure we sound different to you as well!

By the way, when I say "noisy" with the F70, I don't mean a background hum. That's no problem. It's that the machine is SO sensitive, that EMI can be a big problem, it sees even rust specs and tiny bits of metal, and so at a trashy site, it is CONSTANT tones, and trying to sort them is a challenge; it also likes to give occasional, false, high tones around some types of iron -- thus, fooling me into thinking that I may have a coin or whatever next to a nail, but actually it turns out to be just a rusty nail. I think of all complaints about this detector, and there are few, the ability to nearly ELIMINATE the "iron falsing" would be the best improvement I can think of. However, this is not a problem unique to this detector AT ALL -- they all suffer from this, I guess.

Steve

i went to the park the other day the bug was like a machine gun going off and the ground was like concrete i lasted about 5mins :yikes: went down the beach :clapping: but winter time i will check some parks out not so many people can wear shoes and the ground will be softer!

might even see how it does on some gold fields too warmer months beach and cooler parks gold fields for a look see.

bit spoilt i think me having the beach so close.

the rake hits the beach in the morning so i might go try there same beach i seen this guy doing the flags today i will see how i do after he did it this arvo. :clap:

this arvo? What's that mean? Have we stumbled upon a language difference maybe? You have my curiousity up!

So you finally experienced getting "machine gunned," eh? That's NORMAL for the F70! But, I do see that as somewhat of a good thing; it means the machines are THAT sensitive!

Steve

Aussie slang is funny shorten the word and stick an "O" on the end manly with names but arvo is afternoon :blink: sorry didn't even think. if i typed how i talk it would be confusing and probably wouldn't make it through the spell check :surprised:

bug is sensitive for sure i like to swing real low so i take the tops off the little mountains of sand and if its not set up good the thing goes off all the time, that's why i want to get down after the rake flattens the sand out and the bug loves flat sand/ground so my theory is the rake might turn up so coins and i will get deeper while its flat before the people walk all over it and make moutians and valleys again.

we have had some southerlies and i found a 10 cent piece black with age sun baking so lots of top had been taken off well i need to move to the US as i am on your time i think 4am here and have to sleep i think well try too :surprised:

when you going hunting?

hope its fun i sure it will be!!

Gotcha, on the Aussie slang!! Nice!

Yes, both the Bug and F70 are very sensitive machines, but I think the Bug is a bit quieter overall. Which is a good thing! :) I understand now what you are saying about the sand, makes sense that smooth sand is easier to hunt.

4 AM? Time for some sleep, indeed. I'll hunt this afternoon (in a few hours) and then again tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to it.

Steve