Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

To seal the coil cover or not????

beachguy777

Well..., I called Minelab in Las Vegas and asked the guy there if I could seal the top edges of my coil cover so I wouldn't get water and sand in between the cover and the coil. He said yes, he thought a lot of the guys were doing that. I just wanted to check with you guys and see if you have any info or experience with that. I even got crazy enough one day to wonder if you could put some of that fome stuff in one of the shafts to prevent water from running down the shaft up to the housing. Well as old Frank Zappa used to say: "Whip it on me gang" let me know your take is on all that stuff. Thanks for all your input, again, and I guess I wanted to preface all that by saying, I've had a lot of falsing down at the beach when I'm submerging the coil in salt water. That's why I wondered if sealing the coil cover off might help at all??? Marc Trainor

Do you have a lot of sharp edged rocks, etc. on the beach? If not, just take it off and leave it off. I had same issues. If it gets scratched to the point that you think it will leak (a long time on sand, if then), then paint it with epoxy at that time. Just "my 2-cents"!

I sealed mine with some light silicone seal in a tube,dirt or sand can get in between the coil and cover and give false signals.sealing the coil keeps the dirt and goop out and your coil protected..hh kd

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear. I've been wondering why it only seems like when I'm in the salt water that I mainly get the falsing and once it drys it seems ok. That might explain it. Marc Trainor

You know what, that sounds like a great idea too. We really don't have too many rocks on our beach, so it shouldn't be a big problem to take it off either. Well, why didn't I think of that. Sometimes the most obvious is the hardest to figure out. I could always put it back on for the rougher, tougher park dirt and stuff. That might really be an option here. I think I'll try it. I even heard where some people put scilicone on the coil to keep the sand from sticking as much? Maybe so??? Thanks again. Might try both the scilicone and taking off the cover on the beach because I don't seem to have falising in the parks, only on the beach when the coil gets wet. Marc Trainor

I dont recommend sealing the covers on any of the open coils as most are so easy to take off and clean when needed. With the open coils I have seen too many leak as there is too many areas to seal and one seems to leak so you get water or dirt between the coil and cover, so you have to spend a lot of time trying to get the cover off to take the dirt or water out of it. If not sealed and need it you can take it off and clean it and back detecting in a minnute or 2. On the beach like Sand Shagger says is to run without a cover if needed.
When they had the solid covers i know I sealed mine on my Sovereign with the coinsearch coil as it was real hard to take the cover off to be cleaned and a lot less area where need to be sealed, so it worked good.

I use armour all wipes on the bottom of my coils to keep stuff from sticking to them and makes them glide easier..hope this helps kd

Thanks for the info again, Rick. Sounds like I need to armorall the coil and just take the cover off at the beach. That seems like a pretty nifty idea, because our beaches are mainly just soft sand and I could put the cover back on again for the parks and stuff. Thanks again.