Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Today finds

A

Anonymous

Great day six silver coins and 12 wheat cents from a well hunted in Southwest PA

Rick nice finds! you set your discrimination to max?
Is this a heavy trash area?

Yes, max discrimination. The area around pavilions is extremely trashy, pull tabs, bottle caps, nails, and other trash items. One example of how this will work is one of the dimes in the photo, was under a buffalo nickel with just half of the dime showing. The Sovereign picked out the dime. The key is going very slow. As soon as you receive a broken high tone, stop switch to pinpoint and locate the good target. Just a slight amount of coil movement is needed. You do not want to be in the notch mode as you are looking for older silver coins. Also I do not dig any loud signals while hunting with this configuration, as I am only looking for older deeper coins. I hope this helps. I have increased my finds and made many believers of this technique. Air test it for yourself. Place a rusted nail over a dime, go slow and see how it works. We have even placed a dime inside a rusted horseshoe (I must say we didn

If you are running the disc at max the notch is of no use as it only notches out items that are higher than the disc settings. At max disc you can not disc out the newer IH,, copper or silver, but can the older fattie IHs and I beleive the nickle 3 cents and all nickles.
I find running max disc you will not get signals on some coins in with trash as some of this will average causing it to be disc out. I find running a disc at around the 10 o'clock positon seem to get me the silver and copper in with nails and other trash better than a higher disc.
I totaly agree you have to be going very slow to get many of these coins in with trash as the Sovereign has to see each and every target inorder to respond to them. In order to get the depth you also have to be going very slow for the Sovereign to see them. Sensitivity is a tough one and one to get the deph you have to be in manual and the settings will depend on the trash there is. I find when I have mine set so a rusty nail will fool it once in a while I know I have it as high as I can go, more then that the nails will sound like deep coins and less then that I may miss some of those 12 inch deep coins.
Most important is knowing your Soveregin well by using it and understand its language.
Rick

Rick, I appreciate your need to agree to disagree. However, if you reread my post I think you will find I said

Rick nice piece of information! can't wait to give it a try.I have an area that is very, very trashy and will give that method a try.

Rick,
What i was saying was the notch mode will not work with the disc at max, so what you said was correct but I was adding that you dont even need to mention the notch, or say the notch will not work with the disc at max.
I also felt if you were looking for deeper coins that were old that with the disc set at max you could see some of the silver and copper, but will not see the older IH, the 3 cent nickles,or any nickles. To me if you just want to cherry pick then the disc at max may be fine, but for those that want the deeper and older coins this may not be the way to go and by lowering the disc you will have a better chance to get these as we have proved over and over again around here that in trash the lower disc will see more of the coins close to trash items.
If running max disc works for you in trash and you are happy with it, then i would use it, but I find I lose too many good coins doing this.
I am posting a picture of some of the silver, nickles and IH found using disc at around 10 o'clock postion in a very trashy old fairground constuction site with nails and trash everywhere. There was about 100 wheaties too that are not shown. I was using a 8 inch coinsearch coil and going slow because of the trash and this was done in around 20 hours total hunting. If we tried max disc which we did we would not get some of the signals untill we lowered the disc, or went so slow to hear the first hit of the coin, then doing the Soveregin wiggle we could get them. The best way we found was running the lower disc and the sensitivity at around 12 o'clock on our Sovererign XS.Depth was anywhere from 2 inches to 10 inches.
What was funny was all the detectors that tried it there and gave up because of the trash, but the Sovereigns and the Explorers were the only ones other than a Shadow X2 that could work this area.
I see you are using one of the Patriot meters, been thinking on trying one too if I can be convinced that it will work better than a SunRay DTI meter or a rescaled Minelab meter.
Rick

Rusty good hunting, I am sure you will be surprised at what you find. Let me know how you make out, if you don

Rick, your assumption about notching was in part correct. However, I felt it necessary to mention it, not assuming the experience level of the detectorist and their machines. I did not want to confuse anyone. Obviously, your opinion and mine vary on this issue. I am sure they both have their strong/weak points. I for one, would not rule out something I have not proven to fail, if that 'something' would produce for me one more older silver coin than I presently have. I am only familiar with two meters for the Sovereign, which are Minelab's and the Patriot. I cannot and would not speak of Sunray's meter, as I have no experience with it, so I cannot convince or try to convince you one way or the other. I only know what works for me. That being said, for me, the Patriot out-performed Minelab's meter hands down. If I am partial to anything here, it is Minelab products, as I have both a Sovereign and the new Quattro. The park that I am searching is relatively new and dates back to the late 1920s. The chance of finding Indian Heads, Three-cent pieces or other old 1800s type coins is almost non existent. Thus, I stick by my initial advice about 'running' at maximum discrimination for finding silver coins in the heavy trash. This method works!
V/r
Rick(PA)