Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Today's Outing

Bill W.

I got out today with the T2 for a hunt at a local park that we've dug coins as old as seated coins from. It was somewhat of a discouraging day for a couple of reasons. I should say first of all me and my friends have absolutely hammered this park. Knock your socks off type of signals are non-existent. The most annoying issue was for some unknown reason the T2 was dragging deep round pulltabs up into the 70's range when they were over 6-7 inches deep. The numbers were bouncing but the audio ID was 95% the correct tone for those numbers using 4 tones. I dig that range because some IHs fall in that area... I expect square pulltabs but not round. I dug an IH that hit from 75-78 or so. Earlier in the day I also ran into another quirk. I inadvertently flipped the machine to 3b tone mode. We'll in that mode I was getting a high tone for any round tab more than 3-4 inches deep. It would do the same thing out of the ground. So, if someone would flip the T2 into 3b mode and grab a round pulltab and airtest it with an increasing distance. Please tell me what it does. The IDs were in the high 90's which ended up making me cycle through my settings. That's when I discovered that I was in 3b mode. There were indications in both instances that something was not right. One the number were bouncy and the other the ID numbers were too high. Since I mostly go by audio it's a bit annoying. I think I really need to take the T2 to easier territory where there some easy coins left to learn it before jumping into my pounded sites head first... :rant: I am definitely not speaking against the T2 because I have alot of hours on my Explorer and a good bit with my 3D. Both of those machines have their quirks. The first 10 or so times out with the Explorer I was ready to rap it around a tree... :lol: GB was from 56-61 mostly in the 50's. I did ended with a few wheaties a 41 nickel and an IH. So all is not lost! I almost forgot to say I GBed often. Ran the sens. high and low. Not much difference.

-Bill

I should add... that where I dug the IH that I've been around that tree numerous times with my other machines... :) I've dug several old coins around that general area. I also dug a few other targets in areas that I've pounded that if my Explorer would have hit them I would have dug. So, that is a good sign. If I can figure out those other issues... :confused:

-Bill

I've experienced what you're referring to. The thing of it is, I've experienced it with the T2, the Explorer XS and II, all four CZ's (5, 7aPro, 70, 3-D), Edge, Excel, DFX, and a few others. One common denominator for some of these abnormalities has been extremely saturated ground. The other, well.... I'm not sure but I suspect it's related to significantly different ground magnetic properties at that particular time. Whenever I see this happening, and it's rarely, I always ask the other guys I hunt (who are all using different detectors at the time) with if they noticed it too. Without fail they've always said "yes". One of those technical detector mysteries that I'd really like to solve.

Bill, did the numbers dance around on the IH like they did on the tab or did they lock on pretty tight? I believe the tone and the visual display are two independent circuits, if I read the manual correctly. Scott can probably answer this question. I wonder if the tone and visual are not consistent if that would indicate junk?

I can't say that I've experience it to that extent. With that said, the ground at this park is very temparamental. One time you go there an signals bang in hard the next time everything seems 'iffy'. One day, I dug 2 silver quarters with 5 minutes of each other and less than 6 inches deep. God knows how they stayed there that long... :) The pulltabs were also doing it after a got them out of hole and held the coil away from them a good piece. You could kinda get an idea of them being a bad target from the ID numbers. But, if I listened to only the audio I would have dug every one of them. Strange to say the least. I will test the tabs out in my backyard against coins and see what I can figure out. I am definitely a 'newbie' with the T2 with about 16 hours on it.

-Bill

Yes, I've read that they're two independent circuits. The audio was hitting the tone for 70's targets using 4 tones. But, the ID numbers were in the 70's too but it bounced a good bit lower at times. Usually, when I get a coin tone on my Explorer like that I can usually find a piece of iron very close by. I really could find any iron tones that close after I found the tab. Strange. I will do some testing on a couple of my machines plus the T2. Might have been the place I was hunting because it is very tempramental... :(

-Bill

Re-set the unit back to single tone.

Toggle thru the frequency settings finding the quietest setting.

Factory pre-set sens. & disc. in discriminate mode.

Try the same site again.

The T-2 doesn't average the target signals in the single audio mode, it may not do it in dual audio also. In 4 tone audio, the target ID's get averaged for the reading. It's just something to try. Oh, don't forget to pick up the sweep speed a bit. Don't sweep it like your Explorer, that's a far to slow speed for the T-2.

Mr. Bill

It's DEEEEEEEEEEEEP. :D

Bill, I wonder if others are seeing the same thing on ring pull ID's in similar ground conditions. If I remember correctly Dave J had said this is a 3 filter type unit similar to the newer Fishers? Anyway, in certain conditions the C$ will also read the very deep ring pulls (tabs with tails attached) in the zinc area or even slightly above. I did not see it all that often and they were very deep targets. Just wondering I guess if this is a quirk of the filtering process in certain ground conditions.

Tom

correct ID's USUALLY. Like I said in another post, I've also seen rare situations where ring tabs and even some of the relatively lower conductivity square tabs read much higher than they should have. I've seen this happen with 2, 3, and 4 filter detectors at the same time but then go back to the same site a day or two later with the same detectors and all is normal again. I don't know for sure what's happening when this occurs but I'm very comfortable in that this isn't a T2 specific issue at all ad given my observations, it doesn't seem to be filter design specific either. :shrug:

Mr.Bill,

I hunt that park often because it gives up older coins on a regular basis. No matter how many times you go around this tree or that tree you always seem to find something you missed with another machine. As an interesting note, I went out tonight to try to duplicate the same thing in my yard and was unable to. Which is a good sign because whatever was skewing the IDs even in air tests (which is strange too) at the park didn't do it at my house. Next time, I am going to be very methodical in figuring out what to do to remedy the problem. I plan to go through the each of the tones types, pushing the disc up and also changing the frequency. I'm not used to being able to shift frequencies yet so that wasn't in my thought process yesterday. As I said, this park is very temperamental for whatever reason. I've tried to put a finger on weather and soil conditions when it's more weird but as of yet I haven't. The only thing that makes me think is... it's been on the cold side for a bit around here with snow on the ground. Yesterday, it warmed up quite dramatically (which is why I took the day off to hunt.. :) ) maybe evaporation at that level is what was happening yesterday. Who knows... :confused: Thanks for the advice.

-Bill

Tom,

In air tests yesterday at that site I was able to duplicate the high tone. Tonight, I did the same air test and everything ID'ed correctly. I am sure it was the ground at this park as it's very tempramental ... :( If it happens again I will be very methodical in trying to correct the problem. I hunt the park regularly. I'll keep everyone updated when I hunt this park again. I did end up with an IH, even with my problems, which is saying something for the T2. One interesting side note is that the war nickel I found had foil directly below it. But, the T2 locked onto that war nickel even when a crossed it... :)

-Bill

Only if you do a little creative accounting Arthur Anderson style.... :) The T2 is a single filter AM circuit, and a two-filter discrimination circuit.

Ralph