Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Took out XT50 for about 2 hours today

John(Tx)

Went to an old motel that was built back in the late 40's but is no longer in use. The trash was unbelievable but still managed to pull 22 quarters, one is a standing liberty with worn date, 11 dimes and 27 pennies. The ID worked real good and ranged from 33 to 45. I set pattern 2 to hit only on 33 and above because of the trash. Depth was from 2" to just a little over 6" for the SLQ. I sure wish I had the small coil for the XT50 but will go back with my CZ6a and hockey puck and concentrate on the foil hits to see if any jewelry pops up. Tried running the XT50 on all metal but sounded like a machine gun with all the trash. All in all, the 50 worked really good, sure need that small coil. HH John[attachment 13615 coins.jpg.jpg][attachment 13616 slq.jpg.jpg]

Grandpa use to tell me I'd never find a single coin around their old homeplace.

...."If we ever lost a coin, we looked until we found it !"....

He was right.

Ralph

I can relate to that!! The house my grandfather and great grandfather lived in is on is still in the family. I haven't found anything except for one 1842 seated dime and a lot iron. I guess they were pretty tight with money.

My Grandmother did tell me about a family cache though. It seems that we trace back to a land grant from the King of England in 1724. At one time the original family farm was the hiding place of $5,000 in gold coin. Later generations completely tore down the old homestead looking for the gold, but never found any. I don't know if the story about the gold is true or not, but my Grandmother believed it, and told me about it.

OldeTymer

It's really surprising at the number of old "Post Hole Banks" we still hear about being recovered in this part of the country, mostly "through the grapevine" from other detector users. I had the chance to witness one being opened last year, an old "tin" that contained several dollars in old silver, with a lone $10 gold eagle. The latest coin in the bunch was a 1928 silver dollar that looked almost new (except for the tarnish) so we figured the cache probably dated to around that time period. The finder was hunting an old fence row, and the box was found under the base of an old rotted post about half way between two very large and very old oak trees that lined up at a 90 degree angle to the fence, but within sight of the old house. To this day, there are alot of old-timers around who just don't trust the banks, much like the attitude in the depression days.

Ralph

To a lot of folks back then, that was their entire life savings. Finding one of those would be a real thrill. Not just for the monetary value, but the historical value as well. I remember seeing ads for various post-hole banks in some of the early Sears & Roebuck, and Montgomery Ward catalog reproductions.

Your description of its location makes perfect sense as that's probably a repeated scenario that most folks used. I can't imagine how many must still be out there, or how many have been lost due to "progress". Thanks for reminding me of those possibles.

OldeTymer

As I am a silver coin hunter the farther we go back in time very little silver coins produced compared to copper and being a senior citizen from a poor coal region town when I was a kid indeed penny candy was king and if I lost a penny looked for it for hours..Really surprising at the silver coins found given the circumstances...Funny thing about Standing Liberty Quarters tough to find, but if you find one usually another one is found...