Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

trying to decide on my first detector.

yogaguy

Hi. I'm writing to find out more about the Minelab Quattro detector. I have only rented metal detectors before in the past, but I'm now seriously considering buying one. I have been to my uncles farm a few weekends ago with a rented Whites Prizm 2 detector. I did'nt have a chance to look through his fields, but he had a few old homes I checked out. I found mostly old jar lids and some rusted nails, but I feel this is mostly because I'm still an amateur at this. But I did find a tootsie toy truck at about 5 inches, and a 1987 quarter at an inch. Needless to say this was enough to "hook me" to metal detecting. At this time though I feel I would really like to purchase a higher end metal detector because I will mostly be looking through large open plowed fields next time I go to the farm, with an occasional old home every now and then. I have done "alot" of reading and talking to people and dealers about metal detectors, and as you can guess, I've gotten tons of different responses. I guess I would just like to find a good "all-around" detector. I did some reading on the Minelab detectors and I learned that they use a multiple frequency range, from 1.5 khz-25 khz all the way up to 100 khz on some models. I camt to understand basicly that this gives the user a wide range of depths for small finds to larger finds at much deeper depths. I've also heard from different people and dealers, that the whole multiple frequency thing, (to quote them), "is a bunch of bunk!" So I guess I'm just kinda lost at this point. I still really like what I've learned about the Minelab Quattro, but am confused about all the things I've heard from others about them. I would just like to find a good "all-around" detector. But am worried about paying the 7-800 dollars for the Quattro. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thank-you. Randy

Hey Randy,

"A bunch of bunk!" LOL... I heard that too from a White's dealer!!
If you are folling the different forums you can see that BUNK it is NOT!!
I have used an XS a few times now and that's the model I will be getting very soon.
FBS coils are VERY impressive!
look on Ebay for a used XS or Quattro, although I must say the used Quattro's are bringing more than a used XS so I am going with the XS.

Good luck with your decision but Minelab rocks!!

Jeff

Hello,

I would HIGHLY recommend the Quattro! I went through the same thing as you back the 1st of the year, so I know how you are feeling. 1st let me say that I heard the same thing about multi-freq detectors. Then after reading posts and discussing with some that have used them, I found that only those that had not tried them would say that! (except possibly dealers that don't sell them)

I suggest downloading the Quattro Brochure from the Minelab web site to first get a good understanding of the technology and reading "posts" back in January of this year on the Beach & Water forum as well as the Minelab Explorer forum.

The Quattro was very easy to learn! You can be successful the 1st time you turn it on! Once you have used it for a while you will find that it has many options/features that you can use if you desire.

I have actually purchased two Quattros. The 1st one (after just a few months) was sold to my son (at a reduced price to make sure he purchased a good 1st detector). I went back to the dealer where I had purchased the 1st one and bought another one for me.

I suggest that you continue your research, then buy the detector you want, even if it costs a little more than what you want to spend.

And yes, the Quattro "goes" deep!

Hey Shagger, you should sell these things man. Heck, you've got me wanting to buy another one so I can swing one on each arm! :lol

Wait a minute...I could swing the Quattro on ONE arm and the Explorer II on the OTHER.

One problem though...would I have to run Noise Cancel on BOTH of them or just one? :rofl

Forgive me...it's Friday and I'm off for 3 days. :D

Happy hunting everybody!

Hey, you guys are so much fun, I can hardley stand it. Mike I'd love a picture of you swinging the Quatro and the Explorer together, with a wild look on your face. That would be a keeper. Hey, who knows, you might start a new fad here. Super detector man!!!! Look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, no it's Mike on the beach with two :lol: detectors. Keep up the great mesages. Marc Trainor.