Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Two Deus "Problems"

j.beatty

Most of my latest detecting experience is on an F75 LTD. I have made many great finds with it both here in the US and in the UK. I like it because it's fast and light. I usually run my F75 wide open, no discrimination, maximum sensitivity. I can tolerate the chatter but on long days it really wears me down. I am hoping the Deus is the answer and then some!

I don't have many hours on the Deus and this probably why I am having these problems. I have read all the UK reviews to run the programs and set my machine up because I figure they know more about XP machines than we in the US because they have used the machines longer. I distilled down what I need to note-cards and carry those out to the field with me until I know the detector inside and out.

I thought the F75 was a big breakthrough as far as design, technology and weight; but, the Deus blows it away, especially with the different frequencies available and the wireless. The TID numbers on the Deus are remarkably similar to the F75. When I am in the UK for example a target TID at 25 is usually coke.

When using the Deus I have two issues. I don't see a target depth indicator on the screen. I find that occasionally I am unnecessarily digging deep for targets near the surface, little bits of things and even some coins. I now have to take my probe and check the area to make sure it

The target depth is shown in the upside down horseshoe on the left of the screen. It operates to us, kind of backwards. Most detectors fill in how deep something is, the Deus if it is shallow the whole right side of the horseshoe will be filled in according to just how shallow the target is. If the right side of the horseshoe is just barely showing some fill in of black at the top it is DEEP! There are no numbers, this much is this many inches lets say, just a correlation of sorts. You do know that if the left side of the horseshoe gives you an indication it is iron correct? In two months I have not dug one piece of iron except on purpose one time. This machine lets you know so well what is in the hole ferrous or conductive you shouldn't be digging any once accustomed to the machine. I'm just wondering if you have ran your iron disc down too low or zero. At zero all of the metal in the ground will give you a medium tone if I recall correctly. Iron falsing will wrap around also and crackle the tone a bit. That is the telltale sign. Watch the horseshoe and listen it will click very soon. I don't think you will be able to tell this not using the headphones.

I agree with Jack, also the target depth is shown in the upside down horseshoe on the left of the screen and the left half of the horseshoe is ferrous and the right half is non-ferrous. When you have an iffy target see if the horseshoe is bouncing to both the ferrous and nonferrous side is so it

Thanks Deusdigger and Jack for pointing this out to me. I read it in the manual but didn't quite understand it. I think I need to take it out and watch that horseshoe closely and see how it responds to different targets and target depths. I really appreciate your help.

When you do that, and the indicator is bouncing from ferrous to no ferrous listen for that tell tale sign of it being iron. It will quickly be an ears only game. I'm seriously thinking of just using my earphones and leaving the controller at home. I'll use it like I've used my GT and dig anything with a conductive tone or crackle of a good tone. I really feel like this is gonna be a killer beach and wet sand machine.

To be more precise about horseshoe indicator - left side shows targets below discrimination set point and right side - above. If you set discrimination to 0, you will have iron indicated on right side!

First off how long have you been using the Deus? The audio will tell you more about the target than anything else, at least for me. The loudness and target size usually will tell me if it is shallow or deep. Same thing with iron. Iron is the arch enemy of any machine. After several digs I found it pretty esy to tell the difference in iron falsing and a real target. I am a slow learner so I dug a lot of targets before I trusted it.

It takes time to learn any machine. If your like me and don't catch on quick the best way is dig them all. Slow process but it is worth it in the long run!

Another thing I just found out thanks to Jack and Deusdigger is that I was running my discrimination on the factory settings. I will increase the discrimination to 25 or 30 and that plus the horseshoe should eliminate any problems with iron.

It also seems that the Deus does not retain user adjustments to the factory settings. Is this correct? If so, is there a way that my preferred settings can be saved?

Thanks for all your help! Your experience will put me light years ahead of trial and error.

Thanks for asking the depth question, I was thinking that was how it worked (the reverse of my ETrac).

You can save your settings over any of the 9 programs. I used the Basic 1 to save my settings since it had the best starting settings for where I hunt. My only confusion is resetting back to factory default. I thought you could hit "reset" under options and it would go back to factory. I need to read more on that.

I will be back home after a three plus month travelling assignment and can't wait to play with my Deus more. So far I have found 6 silver cons with it (5 from areas that I had hunted hard with my ETrac) and found that good signals are usually clear and crisp compared to the iffy signals of trash. I am also learning the tones so I don't look at the ID as much.

Enjoy your DEUS!! I have about 60 hours on mine and am still learning

I like the fact that you can set your tones to your targets. I have silver and nickels at a high tone so I don't have to look at the vdi, I know it's a good coin if I get the high tone.

sandnsea49 said:
I like the fact that you can set your tones to your targets. I have silver and nickels at a high tone so I don't have to look at the vdi, I know it's a good coin if I get the high tone.

But those darn pulltabs! :stars:

Regards, Joe