Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Two New Fossils-Related Pages About Sierra Nevada Fossil Plants

Inyo

Not too long ago, I uploaded my two new paleontology-related pages about fossil plants in California's Sierra Nevada area.

First is High Sierra Nevada Fossil Plants, Alpine County, California over at http://inyo3.coffeecup.com/highsierra/highsierra.html . It's about a visit to a rather spectacular-setting 7 million year-old (late Miocene) fossil leaf and petrified wood locality situated above the local timberline in California's High Sierra Nevada district. Features a detailed text, with on-site photographs and images of representative fossil specimens.

Also included is an overview of the paleobotany and vertebrate paleontology along the general route to the High Sierra fossil site (text and photos). Three Tertiary Period geologic rock formations exposed in California's Gold Country, western foothills of the Sierra Nevada, yield locally plentiful leaves and mineralized skeletal material from mammals, amphibians, reptiles, and fish (the extinct sabertooth salmon, for example): the middle Eocene Ione Formation (leaves); the late Oligocene to early Miocene Valley Springs Formation (leaves); and the late mid Miocene to late Pliocene Mehrten Formation (leaves and vertebrate fossils).

My second new paleontology page is Fossil Plants At The Chalk Bluff Hydraulic Gold Mine, California over at http://inyo3.coffeecup.com/auriferousgravels/auriferousgravels.html . All about a visit to the famed Chalk Bluffs Flora, western foothills of California's Sierra Nevada, northern Mother Lode country, where the leaves, seeds, flowering structures, and petrified woods from some 70 species of plants have been described from the middle Eocene auriferous gravels exposed by hydraulic gold miners in the mid to late 1800s. Includes a detailed text, with images of fossils and on-site photographs.

Every time I have all but given up on this forum, Inyo puts up a link that makes it all worthwhile. Thanks, great writeup as always!