Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

U.S. Government vs Bob Sullivan & Edward Brown

A

Anonymous

United States of America vs. Edward A. Brown (1) Bobby L. Sullivan (2) Criminal No. W03-627M United States Attorney Charges Count One: (16U.S.C. - 470ee (a)) Count Two (36 C.F.R. -- 327.14 (a))
Dear Honorable Attorney General John Ashcroft,
Sir;
I am not a lobbyist or activist nor do I have an agenda. I am just a good old southern boy who has spent his life doing his best for his family and America. I spring from the roots of one of America's oldest English families. We are a family of patriots whose ancestors fought in every American conflict since the first American Revolution (Bacon's Rebellion) in Virginia 1630s. My first ancestor, on American soil, was the first printer/publisher in the new world, (Thomas Brewer Esq., Jamestown circa. 1620. ) My Great-Grandfathers fought on opposite sides in the War for Southern Independence, but after the that war both became staunch citizens of a renewed and stronger USA.
My Father, two brothers and myself, were career military men. One or more members of our immediate family have served from W.W.II and are still on active duty today. Including sons and Grandsons, my father's offspring have devoted more than 120 years to the military service of our nation.
Is it possible we may have sacrificed for a country that is not what we believed it to be? In fact, that impression came to me, after reviewing a recent court case in Texas. (subject of this message). Are we now under something akin to Nazi control?
Please note, again, I am not a trouble maker. However, the conviction of two of my colleagues for a crime they obviously did not commit has me riled up.
I spent most of two days this past weekend with Bobby Sullivan and Ed Brown, the defendants in this case. After pouring over the facts, studying the Trial transcript, and talking face to face with these men, I cannot believe the injustice they apparently received in that Texas courtroom.
I honestly believe if any second year law student read these documents and was not informed of the outcome of this case beforehand, he or she would laugh at the testimony and bet the case was dismissed. Well it was not dismissed and has ruined the good name of men I believe are two upstanding Americans.
I beg you to please take a look at this case Your Honor. These proceedings will likely become a landmark case in establishing regulations and policies affecting those who enjoy Metal Detecting for years to come. Will, from this time onward, honest, law abiding citizens need fear false arrest and trumped up charges just for pursuing an enjoyable hobby? Metal Detecting, (NO! I'm not ashamed to call it "treasure hunting too") is usually healthy and harmless. The work of detectorists often results in great contributions to the history and archaeology of America. In addition, we, as the leaders of this vocation, inspire to teach kids to respect the property of others and instill in them to become better citizens. Involvement in this hobby has kept the sons, daughters and grandchildren of many detectorists off drugs and out of street gangs. Outdoor activity has long been recognized as a means of occupying their idle time, while teaching youngsters respect for land ownership, people's rights and natural history.
True! Unfortunately there are rogue Metal Detectorists who trespass and destroy archaeological and historical areas. We believe, this is the exception rather than the rule. As a group, the majority of Metal Detectorists are self policing and report violations of law by their contemporaries. On the other hand, it also appears that some Government employees are equally as dishonest and untrustworthy as the worst in our fraternity.
We respectfully request that you review this case and decide if we are right or wrong in our objection to the results of this trial. We ask your help in this matter knowing full well you and your staff are totally consumed with making our nation and our people safe from terrorism both within and abroad.
As one in this fraternity, I pledge to you on my word as a good citizen and active participant in this hobby, to forever work to organize and increase membership in local and National Metal Detecting clubs and organizations. We will continue to educate those new to our ranks, and insist they abide by the "Metal Detectorist's Creed". This well published pledge is adhered to by most who belong to any affiliated club or organization. I and a great percentage of America's Metal Detectorists pledge our cooperation and assistance in bringing to justice any outlaw or renegade in our group that willingly violates that creed.
We also pledge our full and faithful support both politically and financially to fight, tooth and nail, against over-zealous officials and judges who wrongfully convict and punish the innocent.
In a final note on the subject case. The findings of the jury in this case were based on, what I believe to be, perjured or at minimum stupid unprofessional testimony by some of the prosecution's witnesses. The charge of perjury against these witnesses was brought to the attention of the FBI by Mr. Sullivan. He was told, "This Bureau has no jurisdiction to investigate the charge." According to Mr. Sullivan, everyone contacted about the perjury issue, has refused to become involved.
Judge Ashcroft, you are widely known and perceived as a Christian. Next week, President Bush will receive many votes from Christians. Whether successful at re-election or not the President and this Administration will long be held in the highest esteem by most Christians (even non-partisan) for seeing us, thus far, through the extreme difficulty of war against Unholy enemies. Please accept my appreciation for a job well done and may the great God above always smile upon this Great County, the United States of America.
Sincerely Yours,
Bob Brewer
Patriot/Historian/Author
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------