Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ugly Merc

pescadore

A friend called this morning and asked if i wanted to go hunting. We met in a nearby town at the former site of the County Fairgrounds. The area is now a YMCA and we have found lots of good stuff out there. It has been slim pickins the last couple of times I went there but I was looking forward to the hunt and didn't care. We hunted for a couple of hours and both got some silver. The weird thing about the location that we were hunting was that all the silver pulled from that specific area are black and crusted. Without cleaning them, they are almost impossible to ID as silver which is unusual for our soil that usually allows silver to be nice and shiny. We are starting to think that there must have been a fire that caused the crusty silver but who knows. I also found a 1940 wheat cent and a few clad coins before we took a break for lunch. We decided after lunch to go to the current Fairgrounds. Clad is abundant in this area and we haven't pulled any old coins from the area. The Fairgrounds date back into the 1970's as far as we can tell. I got so tired of diggin Zincolns that I decided to cherry pick a little. I found a 1954 Wheat cent and it is the oldest coin that I have pulled from that area. It got really hot around 2:30pm and there was no wind to give us any relief so we called it quits after digging a bunch of clad. Overall, it was a good hunt and it was nice to get out.

pescadore said:
A friend called this morning and asked if i wanted to go hunting. We met in a nearby town at the former site of the County Fairgrounds. The area is now a YMCA and we have found lots of good stuff out there. It has been slim pickins the last couple of times I went there but I was looking forward to the hunt and didn't care. We hunted for a couple of hours and both got some silver. The weird thing about the location that we were hunting was that all the silver pulled from that specific area are black and crusted. Without cleaning them, they are almost impossible to ID as silver which is unusual for our soil that usually allows silver to be nice and shiny. We are starting to think that there must have been a fire that caused the crusty silver but who knows. I also found a 1940 wheat cent and a few clad coins before we took a break for lunch. We decided after lunch to go to the current Fairgrounds. Clad is abundant in this area and we haven't pulled any old coins from the area. The Fairgrounds date back into the 1970's as far as we can tell. I got so tired of diggin Zincolns that I decided to cherry pick a little. I found a 1954 Wheat cent and it is the oldest coin that I have pulled from that area. It got really hot around 2:30pm and there was no wind to give us any relief so we called it quits after digging a bunch of clad. Overall, it was a good hunt and it was nice to get out.

Ive never seen silver do that?:surprised: The zinks we find around here are pretty ate up though!
00217_zps55e4d97e.jpg

She is a little rough...I found one last year that I thought was really bad, but yours wins the prize.

Yeah, I found one under a sidewalk in town that looked rough like that.... but I have to say, "You Win". But still... silver is good!!! :)