Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Upgrading a new 2.68 simplex

You're best move is to upgrade to the 2.77 version. Follow the steps on their website, or do what I did. I'm not into the computer stuff so I had my oldest son upgrade my Simpkex +, my back-up Simplex +, and my three Apex devices. So if you're not up on doing the computer upgrades, just find someone who can do it for you. It's done in 10 minutes or less.

Monte

Head here... this should help.
Hmmmm, being older than dirt going on 81 in a few months is it worth it for my poke along hunting :look::rofl:,I appreciate your help.Guess have to figure what will I gain or loose either way:shrug:

You're best move is to upgrade to the 2.77 version. Follow the steps on their website, or do what I did. I'm not into the computer stuff so I had my oldest son upgrade my Simpkex +, my back-up Simplex +, and my three Apex devices. So if you're not up on doing the computer upgrades, just find someone who can do it for you. It's done in 10 minutes or less.

Monte
Help Monte: At 80 going on 81 in three months I am having second thoughts on upgrading this new Simplex which I bought one and half years ago its new has never hit the dirt except my coin garden.Problem is out and IN of hospitals and no time to hunt :rolleyes: Been thinking about a smaller coil,but now feed back I am getting is 8.5 or 9.5 will not work without the upgrade???Also might loose my warranty if I use them(n)Hmmm,maybe just keep what I got ??What you think Monte? CJM

Help Monte: At 80 going on 81 in three months I am having second thoughts on upgrading this new Simplex which I bought one and half years ago its new has never hit the dirt except my coin garden.Problem is out and IN of hospitals and no time to hunt :rolleyes: Been thinking about a smaller coil,but now feed back I am getting is 8.5 or 9.5 will not work without the upgrade???Also might loose my warranty if I use them(n)Hmmm,maybe just keep what I got ??What you think Monte? CJM
CJM, we, and I am including 'me' when I say 'we', all must face reality. I am 72++ and in terrible health. started detecting in March of '65 and have avidly enjoyed it to this day. Reality strikes!

In my younger and healthier days I could hoke into old-use sites, and I could hunt all day long in my favorite western desert ghost town, even on a 106° 4th of July and there were no trees. Just desert dirt and sagebrush. That was back then.

Due to my medical issues rendering me 100% VA disabled and other complications, I have been using a cane to get around since March of '93, they whacked off part of my left foot in December of '12, fall injuries led to cervical spine surgery with disk replacement and veryibrea being fused in August of '18. A fall back in 2010 did some damage and I lost the hearing in my right ear.

My mobility is terrible and I have to use scooter at big stores and a walker in my house quite often. All that and I still do my best to get in whatever detective I can .... but reality is I realize it is only 15 to 30 minutes, and on a good day maybe a slow and methodical hour.

I know that I am at or very neer the end of my detecting days but still have detectors I like and enjoy. In your case it is only you who can make the call on when it is time to sit back and read, contribute to forum posts or watch videos.

The Simplex + is a good detector. It will work with accessory coils w/o an update. I took both of mine to the 2.77 version and they worked great, and I only used the 5X9.5 DD. If you have had yours that long and not used it .... you, as well as the detector, have been very dormant. You don't likely need a different detector, you simply need to get out and use anything you can and simply face reality. After 56-1/2 years that's what I am doing.

Monte

Howev

Last edited:
Upgrading to 2.77 or 2.78 gives you a much better machine, two park modes, more volume control, ability to mute etc, and you can get a smaller coil, the 5x9.5 sp24 is lighter than the 8.5 and is the most popular coil, I keep it on all the time,also I recommend getting the carbon fibre lower shaft, worth every penny, upgrading is a simple process, at least when I got my wife to do it lol.

CJM, we, and I am including 'me' when I say 'we', all must face reality. I am 72++ and in terrible health. started detecting in March of '65 and have avidly enjoyed it to this day. Reality strikes!

In my younger and healthier days I could hoke into old-use sites, and I could hunt all day long in my favorite western desert ghost town, even on a 106° 4th of July and there were no trees. Just desert dirt and sagebrush. That was back then.

Due to my medical issues rendering me 100% VA disabled and other complications, I have been using a cane to get around since March of '93, they whacked off part of my left foot in December of '12, fall injuries led to cervical spine surgery with disk replacement and veryibrea being fused in August of '18. A fall back in 2010 did some damage and I lost the hearing in my right ear.

My mobility is terrible and I have to use scooter at big stores and a walker in my house quite often. All that and I still do my best to get in whatever detective I can .... but reality is I realize it is only 15 to 30 minutes, and on a good day maybe a slow and methodical hour.

I know that I am at or very neer the end of my detecting days but still have detectors I like and enjoy. In your case it is only you who can make the call on when it is time to sit back and read, contribute to forum posts or watch videos.

The Simplex + is a good detector. It will work with accessory coils w/o an update. I took both of mine to the 2.77 version and they worked great, and I only used the 5X9.5 DD. If you have had yours that long and not used it .... you, as well as the detector, have been very dormant. You don't likely need a different detector, you simply need to get out and use anything you can and simply face reality. After 56-1/2 years that's what I am doing.

Monte

Howev
Good mercy Monte sounds like we are in the same boat after 10 surgeries now my eyes are in bad shape have large cataracts on both eyes.About the coil if they work with the 2.68 which one is the winner the 8.5" or 9.5" ? I will be 81 in Feb. Forgot to tell you I have been using the F-70 with a 9.5"X 5" CORS coil turn out that the Nel coil is the same coil.Went to a city park and found this ring man it looked like the real think from a distance-----real bummer!!Those city parks are infested with tabs and beer caps thought I was going to have to pull out my 5" fisher coil.Man cannot find a detecting buddy around here they all fish and hunt ! Check out the ring.CJM

Attachments

• digger.jpg
    digger.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 194
  • mine.jpg
    mine.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 189
  • PA230343.JPG
    PA230343.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 172
Simplex +, to me, the best general-purpose coil is their 5X9.5 DD.

On all but one of my detectors a small or mid-sizd coil stays mounted full-time. By brand[%b], alphabetically these are the search coils I prefer for all-around use because I typically hunt in very trashy or out-of-the-way locations with a lot of Nails and other Iron junk to deal with. Coil picks in brand-order are:

Garrett:
5X8DD
8.5X11 DD

Nokta:
4.7X5.2 DD (that I call an 'OOR' for out-of-round)
5" DD
5X9.5 DD
5" DD
7" Concentric

Tesoro:
6" Concentric
6" Concentric
7" Concentric

White's:
6.5 Concentric
9" Concentric

As you can see I only use one 'bigger coil for wide-open areas. Smaller coils, 6-1/2" and smaller, and Mid-Size coils 5X8, 5X9.5, 7" and 9".

Nope, not as many hobbyists these days like we used to enjoy. I might need to work on starting a club in my area.

Monte

Hi Monte, Forgot about upgrading the 2.68 simplex just to buy the nokta coils .Found a new 9.5"x5" d.d. coil made by Nel for the 2.68 simplex and it works perfect.:clapping:CJM