Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

US $ verses the EURO

Its not that the Nokta/Macro company has priced there detectors low, Its how strong the US dollar has become against most of the worlds currency's. I,m in Canada and the canadian $ is about 80cents to the US dollar or it cost $120 cdn to buy a US dollar. I just bought a macro cf77 for $625cdn which is about $500us. For Nokta this is possibly a boom time for them if their products prove to be favorable to US detectorists, and on the other side the US detector companies become more expensive for them to sell oversees. More international companies may eventually lower their prices. The Aussy Dollar has been hit the same as the canadian dollar because they are both commodity currency's. So if minelab doesn't lower their prices in the US they will make more $aussy dollars on the conversion from the US dollars. They do enjoy the premium they are receiving because of the etrac and other high end detectors they sell. Back to Nokta/Makro, this could be a goldylox time for them in this economical environment. I hope they do well, competition is good for us as consumers, making prices fair and advancing technology.

just checked at my bank, TD and they want $1.28 for a greenback....

I'm seeing US detector prices here in Canada getting raised already and it can get worse, so folks will think harder about buying new ones or will buy a
cheaper model instead....currency wars....

This currency converison stuff always seems like a game. We've seen currency values fluctuate a lot over the last 15 years but detectors (and other stuff) don't always adjust with the currencies. That is unless profit margins get too narrow and force prices up, but rarely down. Funny how that works... Who knows, but with Makro/Nokta in the market with what looks like great bargains, other companies have made some adjustments but others hold tight. Plus who knows what the real profit margains are? It is common practice in any industry to price an item by it's percieved value, rather than a strict cost/profit price. Say if a detector costs $200 to make, then allow some additional profit for a dealer, the advertised price could be $1000 only because it can compete with other machines in that price range. More power to them. That's how they stay in business and thrive. Competition.

As for used machines, that seems to come and go according to brand and model reputation. I don't mind buying used machines but I always consider whether it has a transferrable warranty and how much is left on it. If there is no warranty or it is not transferrable, then to me the value declines that much more. When I found the warranty on the Racer is transferrable it made it more attractive in the event I decided to sell it down the road. The used value should accordingly be a little higher.