Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Using the MXT to Hunt Nuggets in Arizona

PHorvath1967

I am relatively new to hunting. I purchased a used White's MXT (It is about 8 years old) and I have the 950 coil, the 6 x 10 DD Eclipse coil and the 4 x 6 DD Eclipse coil. We are heading to Arizona this summer and will be in Holbrook for a couple of days, Williams for a couple of days and about 6 days in Morristown which is about 15 miles southwest of Prescott National Forest. I am hoping to do some nugget hunting in and around this area near Morristown and was hoping to get some tips. I have heard that the 2 DD coils I have would be best to use for nugget hunting and that I should be using the prospecting mode with the TRAC on "Ground". Any tips would be appreciated. Also, any tips on hunting sites would be appreciated. I have heard that there is nugget hunting permitted in the National forests there. Is that true???

Thanks, Paul

Hi Paul,
I can't help you with nugget hunting but I'm sure the smaller coil is what you should use. Also I know nothing about the state parks there in Arizona.

I found this:
"Q: Is using a metal detector legal in Arizona State Parks?
A: In some cases. Arizona State Parks does allow "Recreational Metal Detecting" in areas that are not ecologically, geologically or culturally sensitive. "Recreational" means that if the activity is only for recreation, or a hobby and the area is not disturbed to any great level it is acceptable. If you wish to walk along a developed beach front and dig down a few inches with a spoon in order to recover an item, it's okay. If you bring along a shovel and plan to excavate a large hole then it's not okay. Contact the staff ranger at the specific park you wish to visit and discuss the activity with a ranger to determine areas where it would be appropriate. Of course if at any time the activity crosses over into a commercial venture then it is not allowed. Arizona State Parks realizes that this activity is fun for many people, and we try to accommodate them as best we can while at the same time continue to protect and preserve our resources. Check out these great resources on metal detecting: http://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/library/detecting-in-state-park/ http://www.smarterhobby.com/metal-detecting/responsible-metal-detecting/"

https://azstateparks.com/frequently-asked-questions-faq-about-arizona-state-parks-trails#q16

Happy Hunting,
Nancy

Hi Nancy,

Thank you for the information. There is so much to learn. I have to keep on "digging." Thank you again.

Best wishes and good luck hunting,

Paul

The MXT is a great machine with a very easy learning curve. Trust your machine. Believe me, I've forgotten that at times while digging a lot of junk, then I remember, "trust my machine".

The MXT will do fine for nuggets down to around 2 grains or a bit below that in weight, to 2-3 inches deep for the tiny stuff, I generally run relic mode with almost no disc,set at no more than 1 on the disc dial, I like the two tones, a distinctive loud chirp for gold targets and low tone for iron. Just use the 4x6dd. I like the 4.5dd and 6"dd detech excellerators for nugget hunting with the MXT.

There is a huge Wiki Metal Detectors Base on my website in the signature
Just click on the "Wiki" button on the top menu and you will see a lot of information about White's metal detectors and other brands