Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

USS CASSIN YOUNG in Dry dock

Ron J

The USS Cassin Young, DD-793 was named after Captain Cassin Young,whom had been awarded a Medal of Honor for heroism at Pearl Harbor, and was later killed during the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal. This Vessel had served during WWII, enduring a Kamikaze attack. Berthed at the Charlestown Naval Yard, Boston Massachusetts. She is maintained by the National Park Service staff and a steady Core of volunteers. The Destroyer weighs 2050 Tons, and is 376' 6" in length.
The old Gal, hadn't been out of the water in the last THIRTY years! It was known there was some leakage in a couple of the Tank compartments. The National Park Service had approved an overhaul expecting the vessel to be in dry dock for 6 months or less, with a budget of $3.3 Million! Dry dock #1 was prepared for the Cassin to enter in August 2010. Dry dock #1 actually is the designated dry dock for the USS Constitution. I believe the dry dock was built around 1860 or so for the U.S.Navy. Charlestown was home to the US Fleet in the late 1800's and early 1900's. After a few month's of repairs, it was evaluated the ship would need much more extensive repairs. The Hull was found to be porous in more places than expected. Even though this fact was found, the Contractor was held to his contract. The Repairs with a complete refinishing of the Hull were completed, even though the ship was not in condition to be floated. For the past year or more various conversations and rumors have flown as to her destiny. The Park Service hasn't the funds, and the Navy, the actual owner, would scrap Her if necessary. The most current plan, is to epoxy the hull below the water line, which would keep her afloat for the next 25 years.
Having met some of the Volunteers, I was extremely lucky to be given the opportunity to actually go into the dry dock, and examine the hull myself! What an experience and a once in a lifetime event. Never in my life could I imagine entering Dry dock #1 without a vessel in it, let alone with a Destroyer mount on blocks!
Currently the Vessel is still waiting for funding, looking mighty pretty with Her Million Dollar paint job. The repairs need to be done soon, as the USS Constitution is scheduled to be dry docked for Her hull to be inspected and repaired as needed.
So enjoy the pictures... She is a sight to see, and if your in Boston, she is still open for tours.
Rj:usaflag:

on our way to Florida every year that we went, we always had to take the kids and later the grandkids thru a Navy ship, I think, and I can't even remember where it was exactly, but we always loved to go thru it. I like the photo of you waving! Thats a mighty big ship! Thanks for sharing!

And that is a most fascinating propeller design.. I would assume it is to do with reduced cavitation.

Fair winds

Micheal

Yeah, those are cool looking wheels alright...Thanks Mikie for pointing that out...those would sure grab a lot of water in one turn.
Mud

I have always heard that there are two types of ships. "Submarines and Targets". Many years ago I watched a Destroyer spending about the same amount of time submerged as he did on the surface and it was not real rough that day. Decided right then that it would be better to ride a submarine than a destroyer. Never regretted my decision.