Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vacation hunt at a Boy Scout Camp with the Fisher 1280x

Pete in MI

As we drove down one of the roads in Clare county, I was surprised when we went past a place I had gone to on several ocassions as a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Cub Scout Cub Master, Webelos Leader, Assistant Scout Master and Cub Scout Training Committee member. Here is Camp Rotary! It is a Boy Scout camp for the Lake Huron Area Council which covers Saginaw county in Michigan.

Been there several times and didn't have time to stop when we first went past the camp entrance yesterday. Sherry and I went there today and was told I could metal detect anywhere I wanted. I chose the swimming area of the camp. Figured I could find maybe a few rings, possibly an old Scout knife or two.

Sherry (my wife) took some pictures (will post them after we get home and are back on the high speed cable access). Sherry had fun taking pictures and watching a couple of the Boy Scout youth playing in the sand. I didn't come out with all the wonderful items I had hoped I would find but did find 4 quarters, 2 dimes, 1 nickel, 12 pennies (one was a 1951 Wheat penny - almost as old as me but not quite). Found lots of rusted iron - nails, screws, bolts, etc.

May not have been a great bunch of finds but it felt so good to be at Camp Rotary once again. I told Sherry that everything she saw that was man made (except maybe the buildings) were made with the hands of Boy Scouts and sometime Cub Scouts.

Sherry told me where the trash can was so I could get rid of the rusty and dangerous items. She said "Maybe you didn't find all the things you had hoped for but you are leaving the swimming area and camp better than you had found it." That is one of the things that brought back memories as whenever we are at any Scouting camp out we were always told to "leave the place in better condition than what you found it in." Sherry did not know this was one of the sayings of Scouting. As we were leaving I saw a sign - made by the Scouts - it said "reverent" which is one of the 12 points of the Scout law. ( [www.scouting.org] )

Only a handful of Scouts were at the camp. It was 'family camp' week so there were other campers there. It was fun to be on this wonderful training ground for young boys once again.

May never get back to the camp again in my lifetime or maybe I will but the fonds memories of this place holds special place in my heart. May God continue to bless and help to train up the children in the way they should go. God knows we need more youth and adults raised with Christian beliefs - especially in a time when the world is trying to keep the Scouting program from being moral.

HH everyone and God bless the Scouts and its leaders - both past, present and future.

Good finds Pete.Sounds like ya had some fun.Might be worth going back sometime.Good luck:))

n/t