Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vintage toy gun possible from the late 1600's

Ziggy J

A week before I found the gold coin this fine vintage toy gun came up from a different area in the UK...think it's from around the late 1600's but can't be to sure on that... But another find what was great to see come up and over the moon with finding it.

Live dig of this vintage toy popping up up here... http://youtu.be/ubWgYTCyZ3g

People on a few other forums have helped out with ID but we can't be sure if maker.

Very cool gun! Is it just a toy? Is the barrel bored and could it have been fire-able? I'm just wondering if that was a 'poacher's gun'? The farmer/land owner in England 1700's-1800's would fix a cheap but operable gun to a tree with a trip wire tied to the trigger. When a poacher would come along, he would trip the wire and trigger and shoot the poacher or at least deter him from trespassing on the land!! They used to have man/bear traps in wooded areas (for poacher's) but they outlawed them during the mid 1800's as inhumane! Aren't you glad they don't do that now!!!

Think it might be bronze togg, not to sure I'm not great with metals..

Goldstrike this little clip might help you out that I took after I cleaned it out, I will run it along to the local museum for them to reasearch further, it could well be a poachers gun being some parts stick out more than I feel they should..... So they might be made this way in order to wrap around the trip wire as such.

Here's the clip of the gun after http://youtu.be/Cj_WMRtY2LM

Brilliant find! Thanks for the video.

Hello, very interesting weapon. If it is a toy, it is very realistic. What is clear is that it is a weapon wick and do not think that works for a trap ...
I think it's a toy high level for an aristocrat child. The noblemen they used to provide their children with these toys, they were real weapons to child size. As a lover of ancient weapons I have seen many examples provided in picture :shrug:
Ah very very nice find!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Thanks for the video clip.....if it's 1600-1700s it's in amazing condition for it's age. That's a unique find:thumbup: