Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vista Smart observations

SWMO Mark

The winter weather broke in my area so I was able to get out and do some testing with my Smart. I buried a nickel at 11" in my ground. When I ground balance, it balances at 1:00, which is a little in the red zone. Not exactly sure how mineralized this would be. Useing the 11"x 7 1/2" coil, useing boost, disc. at 11:00. I get a fairly repeatable signal in 2 tone, although I get a combination ferrous-high tone some times. If I switch to all metal I am able to get a solid signal, even raiseing the coil above the ground about 1". Put the 10 1/2" round coil on with all the same settings. In 2 tone, I could get a more solid signal, with less ferrous tone bleeding thru. When switching to all metal, I could get a solid signal at least 4" above the ground. What does this all tell me? That I wish they would build a 13" to 15" round coil, so I could get that much needed extra depth when I am relic hunting. If the amount of iron in the ground becomes too much, I could always pull out one of the smaller coils designed for the Smart. Also if you happen to be hunting a location with taller grass. It would be worth hunting in all metal to locate your targets. Then switch to one of the discriminate modes after stomping the grass down to check if the target is good. Because of the increased air-gap depth in all metal you will hear signals that you wouldn't in disc. Just my winter ramblings. Mark

They did make a 15" round Mark...

The elliptical works their magic as far as performance in mineral...Iron mineral..

If you have a lot of iron type mineral or iron bearing clays you would see the need for the round...but if your dirt is less mineralized you can see more depth with the round coil...

Keith

Got a email back from Deeptech. They said, they were working on a larger coil, but couldn't give a time frame for its release. Mark