Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

W3hat is the pro mean?

Phil66

New here not new to detecting.Thinking on goiing to the dark side. That is I haven't used a bounty hunter since the 80"s.Looking at Lonestar and Landstar Bounty Hunter's.I Hope someone can answer my question?I notice. That is the case of both detectors some of both models have pro in there names and some do not?What is the difference?Are either a good detector?

Thanks Phil

Well could not find an answer on Google. I was shopping for a detector for grand son.Settled on a Lonestar without the pro.Seems to be an ok detector and it had a good price used.We will see!

The new 'PRO' models are the latest offerings. Usually put into a newer control box variation. I'd prefer them over the 'muffler on a stick' original series. Just me.

I was rather fond of my first Bounty Hunter (a muffler on a stick detector) the Pioneer 505. It had character... unlike the new pro seris (they all look alike) they are so generic!!!

Well fortunate or unfortunate no Bounty Hunter .. Close I sniped a Technetics Liberator on Ebay. First coin a 1955 D wheat cent.Did my hunted out yard again.That was yesterday.Today was going to a dried out lake.Heavy rain yet again.I can tell like the pro style already.

New here not new to detecting.Thinking on goiing to the dark side. That is I haven't used a bounty hunter since the 80"s.Looking at Lonestar and Landstar Bounty Hunter's.I Hope someone can answer my question?I notice. That is the case of both detectors some of both models have pro in there names and some do not?What is the difference?Are either a good detector?

Thanks Phil
Welcome & happy Hunting! Persistance & practice is the answer & grandson will become a PRO! Ma

Buy the 'pro'. They are a big improvement over the old models. Of all the 'mufflers' the tracker 4 was probably the best imo, all the digital ones were WAY too slow.

Well economics had an impact. Great deal on a new 440 Vanquish and due to some real luck scored a Teknetics Liberator also.Understand it is equal to Landstar pro.So different learning curves on both detectors. Somewhat confused..Very first detectors GarretT coin commanders ,so simple found silver halfs and quarters other nice coins.Also an ace 250 detector.Always will have a spot in my heart for the coin commanders ,so simple.Often would put the newer 250 away and go back to them.Now wanting my grandson to enjoy this hobby as much as I have.So new tech ho!!So again thanks to everyone for advice and good cheer.

MuddyMO i happen to have a tracker 4 ,first attempt to get my grandson detecting.I watched a Utube video on how to use it. One of the all time best sellers. A really a fun little machine.Down to about 4 inches. Tough little thing to.And that is the machine he found his first coins with..

'Pro' or 'Professional' was used on detector models dating back to the late '60s / early '70s and was used at that time to suggest their higher-end or more featured model. Sometimes a manufacturer used it for a simple feature change, such as the Minelab Explorer SE Pro because they switched to their new 11" DD coil. White's added it to their MXT to make the MXT Pro, but that included several good changes and adjustment feature additions. Then there are times when it is simply added to a model name of a rebranded unit just to try and give t a classier, catchy name. On some of the FTP products it is a definite change to their former model w/o 'Pro' in the title. Personally, I find the use of terms like 'Pro' or 'Plus' to be annoying. If a product is improved, then it ought to have a new name.

As for your two new detectors, a Liberator and Vanquish 440, they are both functional, but both different. Each has their own strengths and each has their own weaknesses. You indicated one is for your grandson. How old is he, and what type of detecting activity or uses do you plan to use the two detectors for? Which search coils are you using on them? That can make a lot of difference in the type of results you're going to have, and if the detector design is really up to the task for the search needs. I have two models I keep on-hand for family and friends to use, and that includes grandkids. One is a Tesoro Silver Sabre µMAX w/6" coil that still out-performs a lot of more modern detectors, especially if working iron trash. The other is a Garrett APEX w/standard 'Viper' DD coil for those who want to use a modern unit with Target ID & Tone ID. Both are capable of handling almost any type of site challenge I might select to hunt.

Monte

Monte thanks for your interest and answers.I started my 12 year old grandson on a TK4.Then decided he needed a little more from a detector so went to early to a Lonestar.Should have just put out the bucks right away and started with a solid intermediate. Proud to say he has a good grasp of things.Maintains A's on the old report card. He will put out the effort to learn.I agree both of my better detectors have pros and cons.I like them both.Never to many detectors!
My interest in the pro label w as like well known laundry detergent (new and improved ?)or not?Some say old style some say pro.Detectors in general are only as good as the operator.If I had nothing but the TK4, I would still expect to find coins.Why? It does work and following directions makes all the difference.