Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wan-a-be detectorist questions

A

Anonymous

I would like to know what is the best set of Head Phones ? Why ? And would they interchange with, the Ex 2 or other machines. I see a lot of White's Royal GT's on ebay and this send up RED FLAGS to me.
Can you put the coil and shaft of the MXT or others under the water in a steam to search out Black Sand deposits ?
When buying the MXT what options should one shoot for ? After reading some of the forum I'm pretty solid on the 5

<STRONG>Headphones</STRONG> - You have Email!
<STRONG>MXT coils and shaft underwater</STRONG> - Yes. But do not lift the coil higher than the control box. Water will run down the shaft and into the box. Then's it's all over!
<STRONG>Other MXT Options</STRONG> - You have Email (but even that will not cover all the options)
<STRONG>MXT Carry Case </STRONG>- Get a Plano Model #1111 Bow Case at a sports store, K-Mart or such (see pic down below).
<STRONG>Test Garden</STRONG> - That is REALLY up to you and how "complete" you want it. Some put in EVERY possible clad coin with EACH one at a different depth plus, some silver coins and odd jewelry. If I were to try THAT it would take tilling my ENTIRE yard and then sifting it all through a wire screen just to get all the possible metal out. Lots of folks usually just do a few basic clad and a pulltab and foil at "average" depths to work on their ID and tone practice.
Hope all this helps and the articles get through to you in your email. I'm NOT sure how much Yahoo will allow you to receive.
Ya'll Pass a Good Time!
Art SC
<FONT COLOR="#ff0000"><BIG><CENTER><STRONG>Plano Hard Bow Case Model #1111 - $35</STRONG></CENTER></BIG></FONT>

Personally, I like the Original Gray Ghost Headphones. I have used quite a few different models and like the fit and feel of the Gray Ghost. Very comfortable and I can wear them all day. I also hear good things about the Koss 9000 phones. Also well padded and quite sensitive. I have the set of Royal White's that came with me detector, but they are smaller and not as comfortable to wear. Guess the size of your melon will determine what fits you best. Most coils are waterproof, but some are only water resistant. Make sure you know the difference before you dunk yours in the stream. Don't get the detector housing wet and be careful not to raise the coil above the housing when you take it out of the water as some might run down the inside or outside of the shaft and get into the electronic components. If you are careful, you can hunt around water with the machine. As to coils, depends on what you are looking for. The MXT comes with a 9.5 inch concentric coil that serves most people well. Some of us, however, always have to tweak things a bit. The DD coils are better in mineralized soil. The 5 inch seems to be getting lots of praise. The small 3X6 Eclipse Shooter is a good choice for some. The 6X9 Eclipse is a good DD coil to replace the 9.5 stock if your stock 9.5 concentric don't work well in the ground you hunt. Since you are new to the hobby, the larger coils, including the 14 inch Excelerator, will go deeper than the smaller coils, but are heavier to swing and harder to pinpoint with. But many guys are making good finds with them. Just as with your JD equipment, different tools for different workers and different jobs. As to a test plot, anything you can put in there will help you become more proficient. First of all, clean the area out so there are not any objects in there you don't know about. This could drive you nuts later on. Varying depths and several feet apart, bury every type of coin and jewelry you can afford to bury. Siver, copper, gold, a ball of aluminum foil, old metal button, pull tabs etc. I have dimes at 3 inches and 6 inches. Quarters at 4 inches and 8 inches. Indian cents at 4 inches and 7 inches. ETC. By the way, put the gold flakes in a hard plastic case of some sort. Not a thin bag but a hard jewelers case. Make a measured drawing of the plot and put it in a safe place. Depending on your soil, the deeper targets may not be easy to find for the first few years. Metal oxidizes and bleeds minerals in the soil, causing what some refer to as a halo effect. Seemingly, a silver coin buried 100 years will produce a "louder" signal than one buried last week. Learn to listen for the signals of each target and use the VDI to confirm what you hear. Practice every chance you get and enjoy the hobby.

Hey, You guys are great thank alot really like the case.