Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Water Hunting Mod Question

ronsimo

Andy's water hunting mod was quite clear on the coil end of the cable. What have users done on the control end of the cable? How should it be hooked the the contol? What is the best waterproof pouch to use? Would like to see some suggetions.

It doesn't need to be hooked to anything it works like an antenna once the signal travels up the coax out of the water, it becomes wireless again

I made mine up for fun about 3 years back.

Just slip the aerial in the back of the controller protective cover.

These days as a budding octogenarian I only drink water and wash in it. :cheers: Jerry.:cheers:

So I could just clip the end to my shirt collar for instance and the signal would find its way to the control unit? Or in absence of the control unit, to my headphones?

One end goes at the coil transmit hump and the other needs to be near the hump on the control unit if you are using that or the headphones if you are only using them - the signal can not be sent through the water wirelessly

If you have a case, you simply hot glue the other end to the case or rubber band it to it - the signal is transmitted just fine that way

Andy

Bav24502 said:
It doesn't need to be hooked to anything it works like an antenna once the signal travels up the coax out of the water, it becomes wireless again

Unfortunately it is not like a snorkel where the signal can be picked up wirelessly once it leaves the water - the end of the cable (RG6) needs to be placed by the receiver "hump" on the control unit (outside of the case / bag is sufficient) or near the headphones so that it can be picked up and processed.

Most of the waterproof bags / pouches have a headphone jack that allows wired phones to be plugged in and do not allow water to reach the control unit.

[size=x-large]REMEMBER[/size]: Do not go cheap on this piece as even a little water will kill the control unit . . . . . buy quality or bad thngs can happen . . . and this is based on comments from several European hunters that opted for the $10 E-Bay models that leaked almost immediately once they were submerged. Expect to pay $30 to $50 for a quality case and pieces to make this mod but the end result and performance are worth it.

Andy

Frank in NH said:
Andy anyway you could make these to sell on your site?

Am working on that . . . . will have a bundle with all the parts including the antenna shortly . . . . .

Andy

I just did my first water test today. Placed a penny in a five gallon paint pail (without the paint of course). Filled it a little over half full. Turned on the control unit. Select sound on. Tried to detect the penny without antenna attached to the coil. No signal on the penny. Attached the antenna to the coil. left the other end of the antenna on the ground with the control unit in my pocket. Was able to easily detect the penny in the water. moved control unit about five feet away. Was still able to detect the penny in the water. Turned the control unit off. Brought it into the house and got my WS5 headphones. Turned on the headphones. It took a while for the headphones to find the coil. Had to move the end of the antenna a little closer but was able to detect the penny in the water with the headphones with the end of the antenna about three feet from the headphones. So......if seems like id does in fact work as a wireless connection once the end of the antenna is out of the water.
Andy, your thoughts?

that's how mine works as well I don't have to have mine next to the hump either, my wireless signal transmits through the antenna and out like it would on land, I wonder why others don't!!