Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Waterproofing the xterra elliptical coil.

0turn

Is it advisable to spray water seal or other similar products on xterra coils to water proof them? I'd like to get the coil not the detector wet at the beach.

0turn said:
Is it advisable to spray water seal or other similar products on xterra coils to water proof them? I'd like to get the coil not the detector wet at the beach.
Advisable?
You wouldn't be the first to do it. Many have waterproofed those coils by various means. One big thing is to be sure to get a good seal around the cable and cable grommet.

I have 15" 3khz coil plus coiltek 6" digger in 3khz. The 10.5 in 7.5 kHz, The 5x10 elliptical @18.75 kHz. So I decided to waterproof by buying the 6" round coil in 18.5 which is waterproof ....that I feel certain is 'adviseable'. Attempting waterproof on a finished coil after mfg may work but also has high risk of fail.

Who has waterfproofed his coil has satysfactions now? How long time do the waterproofed coils by seal work?
Can you explain the procedure to waterproof your coils, please?
I should thank very much to anyones who show the procedure (possibly with photo).

Folks I would like to know more about this. I have a lot of waterproof coils for my 705 and actually only use my 10 x 5 on high benches, ditch terrain, and dry bed rock. I was just wondering if RTV or Silicone would throw the 10 x 5 off...? [ Coils in Signature... ] I really do like being able to throw the 6" 18.75 DD two feet under water, getting tone, and running material from that spot as that has got me some color. The 15" DD has done well on that aspect as well.
Guess it would be nice to put the Elliptical down too. Regardless, hence all the coils, the 10 x 5 has proven itself well. Even if it isn't waterproof...
But makes me wonder why ML wouldn't set up the 10 x 5 to be waterproof... Perhaps ML didn't fill the coil with Epoxy or perhaps they didn't for a reason. Weight? I'll assume they know best... But Odd...
I guess I'm hesitant to "fuss up" a good working coil when in regards to water, I have other options. And trust MineLab.
I extremely like my 705. Like the coil options, Pickers, Dust, Coins, Relics, Matchbox cars, and Junk... Never a dull moment.
I guess an experiment, like from an experienced X-Terra owner, who has had some earth under a 10 x 5, to then RTV or Silicone the coil head and wire grommets at the head and wire to report.?
But, understandably no one wants to smoke a $200 coil either, including me...
Gonna contact MineLab about this. They might say, " No", "Void", "Don't", or "Give it a try"...
Anyhow, just food for thought. I'm not the first to wonder this...

Silicone sealers are just fine, and work very well for our (your) purposes. RTV can be used, but be sure to NOT employ the ultra high temp copper stuff, or any that may contain a metallic compound as part of their high temp makeup.
Just be sure to seal ALL the seams as well as the area around the grommet and wire. Some folks have simplified the process by sealing the coil cover to the coil, which also aids in keeping dust and fine dirt from getting in between the coil and cover.

Spray sealers are acceptable too. Things like Flex-Seal™ are very capable and don't add much weight. Using spray-on bedliner can work pretty well too, and some like it because of the added toughness, but you need to pay particular attention to the content because some utilize metallic compounds. Bedliner also goes on thicker, thus adding more weight than just a sealer, which if water hunting isn't necessarily a bad thing because it assists in keeping the coil from trying quite so hard to float.

Thank you,
my question raises..: why elliptical 10 x 5"" coil is not waterproof while the concentric and 6" type coils are waterproof?
Why?

Yes LongHair, I concur. And oh my gosh, one needs to definitely watch metallic content. That did occur to me. Leaning towards a reputable brand of silicone should be fine. Like such :: Permatex Type-1 RTV.
Might rub some on the already waterproof coils for the heck of it...

And Alle, I asked the same question in my post, fifth line I believe, and yes it is beyond me. In this day and age all coils should be waterproof. It just makes sense. Heck, at that the heads should be too. But that might raise the price in regards to the heads. The "rain cover" for my 705 head works fine.

80% of the time I am out I am around slow to fast moving water. [ i.e. streams, creeks, and rivers ] Gotta watch not to drop the damn thing for sure. But as mentioned, I drown the ML 6" DD 18.75 kHz all the time. Works great too, I've got some nice gold with it in the past. Obviously being able to fit in between boulders and brush, tight spots, it works out great. I've just always wanted to drown that 10 x 5... :)

I think that Minelab did pretty well. After all, only 3 out of 12 available coils aren't waterproof.
Part of what needs to be taken into account, is that when the Xterra was introduced it was cutting edge technology. A breakthrough actually. Being the first all digital detector hitting the market was HUGE, and it was unknown territory.

+++ "I think that Minelab did pretty well."
Concur, MineLab rocks...