Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Weatherproofing the GPX control box

Bill D. (VA)

Am curious to see what others have done to protect the electronics from the rain. Pics would be great. Also, what precautions do you take to prevent water damage to the coil? Thanks.

Bill I am making a cover as we speak. I purchased a heavy duty sewing machine a couple months ago to make items to use metal detecting to protect detector, coils, headphones. I purchased some canvas to make a bag for my shovels. The cover is a to part cover. I have the large battery mount on the side of the 5000 so the rain cover is larger than if I was using the smaller battery pack. Send me you email address and I will send you some pictures. I am headed to church this morning but when I get back today I can send you some pictures if you want to see what I am doing. Trying to get ready for DIV and the weather we may have during the two hunts. I use plastic bags last year just can do that again.

Sorry Jim, but I just saw your post. You may have already left for DIV but if not I'd love to see the pics of what you're doing. Thanks ..... Bill

Jim Robertson said:
Bill I am making a cover as we speak. I purchased a heavy duty sewing machine a couple months ago to make items to use metal detecting to protect detector, coils, headphones. I purchased some canvas to make a bag for my shovels. The cover is a to part cover. I have the large battery mount on the side of the 5000 so the rain cover is larger than if I was using the smaller battery pack. Send me you email address and I will send you some pictures. I am headed to church this morning but when I get back today I can send you some pictures if you want to see what I am doing. Trying to get ready for DIV and the weather we may have during the two hunts. I use plastic bags last year just can do that again.

I am interested to see how your cover for the GPX turned out - any pics?

I have run for days in pouring rain in Alaska with nothing more than a bread bag open end pointed down to breath. I never worry aount the coil, never had a problem, except time I dropped detector in a beaver pond. Luckily it was not on at the time (ALWAYS turn off when doing water crossings). Dried it out, went back to work.

[attachment 260515 rain.jpg]
Three amigos brave Alaska rain

did you ever get the cover made for the gpx if so i am interested getting ready for div and would like to waterproof my gpx thanks sham

Heavy duty poly bag or a camping dry bag will do the job. I use the camping bag.

Send me your email address and I can send pictures. I have trouble posting pictures on here. Sorry i didn't back here sooner. Leaving for DIV tomorrow. If you are going to DIV can show you there at Pre Hunt Meeting. Thanks Jim