Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Welcome to the new forum!

Guvner

Administrator
Staff member
Please post your information here about the new detector.

Thanks...

Guvner..

this new product entry is going to be one of the hottest, most popular and talked about detectors to come along in quite some time!

I have really enjoyed using my X-Terra 50 so far, and especially with the battery performance I got from the first four (4) AA alkaline batteries. With the new X-Terra models, especially the '50', I think "Minelab" is going to become a brand name used in many more clubs and households and among friendly users.

I can't wait to get my hands on a DD coil for the X-Terra 50 to see how it handles some of my nastier ground environments. Rain is due in by mid-day Tuesday so I am headed out early to go play some more.

One of the key words to describe this new Minelab is FUN! It definitely puts more 'FUN' into detecting because you can hunt for hours on end without fatigue. For those of us with bad backs and other health issues, that's important!

I'm ready for what ought to be the most active forum around for some time.

Monte

I am going to enjoy the info we will have here by the different people that will be trying one of these new X-Terra and I am sure there will be a lot of questions ask and answered given.
I do have a question of you Monte being you are testing a X-TERRA 50, on the ground balance for this detector. I see where it says it is manual and wonder just what you do to adjust it.
Also what seems to be the battery life on the X-TERRA?

I had to order both the X-TERRA 30 and the X-TERRA 50 so I can do some comparison and give the 30 to my grandson when I am done with it.

Rick

Ground balance: The ground balance is similar to most with pumping the detector , ground to about 6 inches achieving a steady tone, then going a little positive. Fixed on the X-Terra 30 is like 6 (factory preset) on the X-Terra 50. The 50 adjusts from 1 - 20. I have found you "do" want to go one number positive after proper tuning is achieved.

Battery Life: The battery life for Alkaline is running around 20-23hrs. Others NihM, Ni-cad, Lithium. They seem that they would run less. I did a controlled test on a set of 1600 Nihm's and at 17-18 hrs they were done. Let me say that for this test it was not detecting time. It was detector on, Too see how long until they were dead.

Joe D

Rick,

The ground balancing is extremely simple. Pressing the GROUND BALANCE touch-pad brings up an LCD icon showing the current ground balance setting on the X-50 (the X-30 has preset ground balance). Preset is "6" out of "20".

Raise the coil up and lower it to the ground. If the setting is under compensating for the ground mineralization, the tone will be LOWER as you get to the ground. If the setting is overcompensating for the ground mineralization, the tone will be HIGHER as you get to the ground.

Use the [+] or [-] touch-pads to adjust the ground balance circuitry to obtain no change in tone as it is lowered to the ground and raised back up.

A trick which some users may find useful in bad ground is to go slightly positive; i.e., one number above the point where no tone change is obtained, which tends to enhance performance in severe ground.

All in all, it is quite simple to balance and offers a wide range of adjustment in terms of ground conditions it can compensate for.

Hope this helps.

Andy Sabisch

Andy,

Have you had a chance to check it out for low mineral operation?

Tom

Tom,

This part of SC is a bit unique in that you can find really hot ground at one location and then go a few miles away and find neutral soil. It makes hunting a challenge but it's great for testing detectors.

So, I did get to use it (the X-50) in a number of low mineralization sites and leaving it at preset, it performed quite well with virtually no falsing even when the sensitivity was pushed above the preset value of "12". Hunting in Charleston, SC (which is also quite mild in terms of mineralization) produced similar results with good detection depth and lock-on target ID values for good targets.

I've talked with another individual in southern Florida that received a production unit last week and he is extremely positive about how it peforms both on land and on the salt water beaches (no black sand there). The mineralization in the Miami area is neutral so this shold be equivalent to what conditions you are asking about.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Andy Sabisch

From coast to coast. And I believe there might even be one tested outside the 48.

So chances are someone is testing the detector in the soil you are asking about. Myself I have many different soil conditions. From salt water beaches with iron rich sand(which I have not had a chance to test in yet) , Ploughed fields that are very airy and iron infested. To some areas that nice and clean that every detector runs smooth.

I would like to hear from those in the Virginia area with the red clay, highly mineralized soil.

This is my surrounding that I hunt

Joe D

Thanks Joe,

I was just curious how it was done as there was no knob to turn and was wondering if it was push the ground balance touch pad and auto adjust, but yours and Andy's explanation has cleared up how it is done. Sounds like it will be very easy to do and should not confuse anyone.
I notice the X-TERRA 50 has a noise cancel and wonder if this is like the Explorers where you push noise cancel and the detector picks the best, or manual where you just set it if you are getting any interference to where you feel is the smoothest.
Battery life sounds real good on these detectors and with only 4 of the AA batteries cheap to replace or carry a extra set of rechargeable if you are using rechargeable.
I feel this may be a very hot selling detector from what we are hearing from some of the field testers.

Rick

It sounds very simple to do and anyone can do this ground balance if needed to be on the X-TERRA 50 as the X-TERRA 30 is factory preset so you cant.
I feel this will be one of the hottest selling mid range detectors on the market within 6 months.

Rick

Noise cancel is manual, and it seems to be more of a Frequency shift with (-1,0,+1).

If I am not correct please correct me.

I have not had any RF noise, or other detectors cause interference (yet). I will give it a test of this come the weekend, When I try it at the Lancaster Clubs sponsored pay hunt.

If anyone is going to be there feel free to drop me a line and maybe you can give it a try.

The Noise Cancel feature is really a 3-setting frequency shifter with values of [-1], [0] and [+1]. It is designed to reduce or eliminate outside electrical interfernce. It is adjusted manually through the MENU touchpad and the either the [+] or [-] touchpads.

Hope this helps.

Andy Sabisch