Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What do you guys think about the hi/lo. Lo/hi tones ?

Dancer

I'm just relating my experiences with the Infinium / Atx type of tones. When I first got my Infinium I pretty much dug just about everything. After a couple buckets of trash , like all of us , started to wise up a little. So after who knows how many tabs and such, I started to eliminate a lot of the trash. I believe the tones are about the same for the Atx as the Infinium. I will tell you this, my AT Pro was my Gold getter until I started to get the hang with the pulse induction. Gold comes slow for me, but after eliminating the many obvious tab signals the Infinium has accounted for my last 5 pieces of gold. My buddy does well with his Dualfield, but says he can't tell any tone difference. He digs everything. I've found by listening, I can get a lot of use with the pulse in mud, dry sand, and wet / wading. Still dig the many iffy signals and it pays off. Funny, just don't read much about the tone advantages on other sites.

WELL, a deep, well kept secret..is now out of the bag...

It really depends on the time I have to detect an area and how many signals I am getting. Large area, little time, lots of signals - "discriminate".
Is the area a local one or on some remote island I will never get back to will also add a factor to the decision I make as to what I will detect.
Dig the Hi-Lo tones and miss the silver. Dig the Lo-Hi only and miss the gold. Either way you will dig some "trash" and maybe a very good target.

With the Infinium you "waste" more time trying to eliminate iron than with the ATX push button. My biggest love for the ATX even though it is tough to press with winter gauntlet gloves on.

On one hunt at a never before detected beach (for me) I was digging all targets. Several gold in the pouch and time was getting short, went cherry picking, pass up many targets not of the "golden tones" and ended up with 3 more gold. I may have only seen one of had I not cherry picked and dug all targets. Time wisely spent!

PS for Excalibur swingers...I also use the Hi, Mid, Low tones to make a decision, along with the other above factors if I will dig a target.
This did get me into a dilemma by disregarding the Null signal. On the fourth day on an island far away, the gold was getting scarce, I dug a Null and found it to be a $2 coin...next two and a half days netted more than $80 in two dollar coins. Maybe it was wise to get the gold then the lesser value signals, time and other signals allowing.

Gold plus Tuneies, now there was some day there WW. Most tabs for me are long, drawn out tones. The Beaver tails don't bother me so much, cause they can sound close to nickel/gold. So gotta dig them. But, Bobbie pins and tent pegs do suck me in more than they should. I guess that's what a Atx push button iron check comes in handy for.
Hunting a outfield area last fall. The whole field had been vacuumed. I mean not one tab and just a piece of wire until. At deep left center, I got a bit. I remember saying to myself, this is something good. Little over 4", a 14K Yellow Gold band. Sometimes you just know.

I sold my ATX and kept the Infinium; I sure miss the iron test push button. More convenient and worked deeper than the Infinium in my testing.
I like the two-tone ID and dig hi-lo only unless I have more time. Unfortunately I don't have a pull tab ear so I end up digging all low conductors.

I love the hi-lo/lo hi signals. That, combined with the strength of the signal and audio duration helps with guessing what the target will be. :thumbup:

Any tone differences if it's white gold ? platinum ? Would 24k always be a "low/high" regardless of shape or size? Trying to learn as much about this detector as I can now

stephenscool said:
Any tone differences if it's white gold ? platinum ? Would 24k always be a "low/high" regardless of shape or size? Trying to learn as much about this detector as I can now

All the gold rings I've found had that sharp hi/lo sound. Except one, my last. I would call it on the iffy side. Have no Plat. to compare it with. But there are a couple or a few very knowledgeable Atx hunters on this forum who can be of lot more help.

Normal size Platinum like Gold rings are Hi/Lo, however there are rings in the Lo/Hi area worn by people that like to be noticed.

Some high purity Gold nuggets starting around 1 Oz will also give Lo/Hi sound as will some gold included with ironstone.

Learn about digging those drawn out signals after a while. Hunted a stretch of dry sand I knew to have many tabs, bottle caps, some rusty nails etc. So I hunted down abt 40 yards. Didn't dig the drawn out signals, marked them with a X. Did dig iffy signals. At the end I had 8 coins, about 5 Bobby pins. (I admit they suck me in) Couple beer caps. On way back, dug every X. Everyone was junk, but did find 2 coins that I had missed. If I'd been wading, and dug everything, sure would have been one tired puppy. Now what happens where I wade a lot is a lack of any targets. So I dig most of them, but rarely miss calling a tab. The Beaver tails are something else, very hard for me tell most of the time even on land. To me they are very close to nickel / gold ring sound. On the lo/hi signals, tent pegs sound like shallow quarter's. Until after a few scoops, wait a minute, no quarter sounds that good that deep. I'm hunting a Garrett Infinium, which I understand is similar sounding to the Atx.

So you'd pass on a nice silver ring if it wasn't the correct tone? For me, it's more of how hard the tone hits. I usually dig it all except the long drawn out tones that I know are junk. Like someone else posted, signals are so far and few between you have to dig them all unless you know for sure they are junk. I've pulled up a few descent rings that surprised me due to their tone not sounding that good.