Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What kind of depth are you getting with the 11" round coil?

CZconnoisseur

Hey guys - I've been tearing it up on my little parcel of urban property and have been finding some great things with the 11X13 coil recently. Found 5 silver dimes since Christmas Day, and maybe 25 Wheats, one Indian cent, one dateless Buffalo nickel; as well as some Civil War relics when I hunt in Knoxville several times per year. When I stopped detecting in 2006 for a little while I remember being really happy just finding one Wheat cent in one week's time, and a silver dime would have me doing backflips! Still getting used to the CALIBER of finds even from around the house - even moreso in an older area. I knew that those older targets MUST be there, it was just a matter of cutting through the trash to be able to pinpoint them.

Am looking to get the coveted 11" round coil to punch just a bit deeper on these older sites. I have a tremendous amount of EMI around the house, and in my test garden I'm not able to hit the 12-13" quarters and 8" plus dimes I planted just last month. Don't know if it's the EMI, inexperience with the Deus, or the lack of control box (or a combo of these factors) that limits my depth.

I do remember when I pulled that Indian from the fairgrounds it was about 6-7" down, but it sounded off clearly. A 6-7" penny or dime close to the house is just a whisper - so not sure what's going on there :shrug: When I air tested coins inside my house, I remember that a dime using Deus Fast would come in MAX around 7-7.5" - so when I found that Merc next to the "no parking" sign at 7", well, that was a surprise!

So I know answers will vary depending on EMI, experience, soil, and settings...What I want to know is how deep are you finding DIMES, QUARTERS, ETC (U.S. coin-sized targets) comfortably - preferably in Deus Fast. I've learned that separation trumps depth in most cases, and especially where I hunt, but EMI is killing my depth - maybe up to 2" or so.

One last question: Does EMI affect DD coils more or less than a concentric setup? Thanks guys! Going on another night hunt tonight looking for some silver (its the only time I have off from work and family!)

Not sure about the 11" coil. Seems to be a lot of different results.

Any way to help address your lack of depth. As you know a lot of things can affect that.
If you are using Deus Fast do not expect to get a lot of depth. The reactive setting is killing you. To get the most depth do not go higher than 1 on the reactive .Set your audio volume to 5 and if you can the TX to 2.

Remember that if the site is real trashy you need to back off sometimes on the high power settings. You are not going to get any depth anyway because of the trash so don't over do the sen.

Not real sure how to help with the emi but I found that to much sen. And to low of a ground balance causes a lot of problem.

j piddle said:
Not sure about the 11" coil. Seems to be a lot of different results.

Any way to help address your lack of depth. As you know a lot of things can affect that.
If you are using Deus Fast do not expect to get a lot of depth. The reactive setting is killing you. To get the most depth do not go higher than 1 on the reactive .Set your audio volume to 5 and if you can the TX to 2.

Remember that if the site is real trashy you need to back off sometimes on the high power settings. You are not going to get any depth anyway because of the trash so don't over do the sen.

Not real sure how to help with the emi but I found that to much sen. And to low of a ground balance causes a lot of problem.

I keep GB on 90 almost all the time because of the trash. Sens runs from 85-90 using Deus Fast, sometimes lower with high EMI. I have to keep reactivity high for best separation, and can't change it by itself. Sometimes I've switched to Prog#8 (Reactivity on 2)when I get a faint high tone just to check the target. More than once I've done this, and the target disappears with Prog#8; then I go back to Deus Fast and get it back - only to pop out a coin that's in the hole with a bunch of trash (like the last two Mercs I found in my yard). This just may be my depth limit at the site, but I'm always willing to push the envelope a little further!

Another night hunt is scheduled tonight - I may just venture out to the fairgrounds for a couple of hours in the dark with my rangefinder and compass - trying to hunt the area underneath the old wooden roller coaster (built in 1922 and torn down in 2010). I know Im in the right area when I start finding large nuts and bolts - this tells me to slow down and listen hard. I don't know how many coins (mostly modern) I've plucked from next to all kinds of trash. Large pieces of cast aluminum are also present, which compound the problem even more. The roller coaster never moved in the almost 90 years it existed, and every time since Jan 1st that I've gone under the coaster, I've found at least one old coin (mostly older Wheats, but the Barber dime, Indian cent, and buffalo nickel came from the same area). The area is so large that good coins will likely continue to flow from there for years to come, we are talking maybe 30 acres of land! And it's all OPEN with short, mowed (but not manicured) grass.

On top of that there are 15-20 more acres of land that were paved over from the late 1960's to 2010, when the city scraped up all the pavement. Many Wheats have come out of there, along with a single silver Rosie. 40 plus years of pavement cut off the oxygen for the most part...most of the coins are preserved rather well vs the ones I've found near the sidewalk.

Seems like everywhere I hunt is trashy, but the fairgrounds is overloaded with large iron, bronze, and brass items. You think the 11" round coil separates better than the 11 X 13" coil??? My gut says that it would, not just because of the smaller footprint; but also because it is a newer-designed coil. XP started off with the 9" round coil, then came out with the 11X13 (to which a lot of users howled for different reasons, mainly from what I've read was lack of depth over the 9")

Finally just recently the 11" round coil was released, and I've heard nothing but praise - what I'm looking for is someone who has some swing time with it under their belt and knows the nuances vs other Deus coils.

Henrikras could you make a video of your silver coin and nail test using the 11X13 coil (if you have one?)??? If I could see and HEAR the difference on video that would help me tremendously...

Did you know If you are keeping the GB to high... Like GB 90 If the soil / ground is more like 85 or even lower, you lose dept.. But your Deus is nice and calm.
In Heavy trashy area I would recommend manuel GB no more than + 1-2 of center. Not lower because that gives more chattering and unclear signals.
Another way to help you finding a good GB in difficult places, is If you dig a hole trying to find a small object, and the object still are at the bottom in the center of the hole, and you can't get signal from your deus, swinging over the hole.. You got a weak but clear signal before you start Digging. Try to lower the GB to find the border to get the weak signal again, you had form start. May work.
COIL 9" / 11" / 11"-13" - I dare to say that the DEUS is very fast and the recovery speed is outstanding and the coil different is very little in performance. 90% is coming from the design XP made constructing the Deus... Look at this utube the Danish dealer made. Link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38Kt6CA7WJM&sns=em
The result would been the same with all 3 coils.
The different in dept those 3 types of DEUS coils is not much... Something like 9" in reaction 2, gets the same dept with Big foot coil in reaction 3 (would had say ed 2,5) and the 11" is closer to the 11"-13", than to the 9"... its Very small different. Something like sens. 90 to sens. 85.
You could easy lose more by wrong adjustment or swinging to high over the ground or to slow swing.
That's my 10 cent.

^Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong! Maybe my GB is not quite perfect - around the house the soil GBs close to 82 using manual (pumping method); but I rarely take it off 90...I like to keep things as quiet as possible due to the EMI. Am beginning to think my cable box (Comcast) is the source of the EMI - anyone run into this???

When I turn on the Deus (when I've actually done manual GB); I would do it in Prog#1 and then move to either #3 or #8, whichever program suits the site. Starting out I'd rather have the Deus quiet and maybe GB'ed a little high - to help with falsing. Think I should go to Prog#3 AND THEN GB the machine manually (then add +2 for stability)??? And then do it again in Prog#8 for best results?

Would that help with some of the iron falsing on those deeper, larger (pinball to golfball-size) nuts and bolts??? Sometimes I will find those large iron items, rescan the hole and there will be a coin there. Last night I found a 1918 Wheat almost touching an 8" long piece of 3/4" diameter rebar. The rebar came through chopped and large, but there was another signal just discernable next to it at about the same depth (3 inches). You just never know with this site - better to err on the side of caution with this machine! If there's a coin there, and it's 6" deep or less - Deus will find it for me almost 100% of the time. Even the shallow 4-5" targets in the test garden litttered with trash doesn't matter - Deus sees the trash but it will find the coin as well! That's probably why I dig more iron than I should - the site is so unpredictable and scattered due to its history and I'm so stuck with digging "anything not iron" coming from the CZ line for so many years!

To me its sounds like you are close to doing everything perfect.,. This with a lot of iron coming up, is what we all has to live with, and like somebody Very wise sayed.. Those who are Digging a lot, are them who will find the a lot.
You dosn't need to think about GB changing program. Just keep an eye to the display up right... (The information how the deus see the soil/mineralization)
To that just Remember that the Deus can show lower GB in iron area, so its not Allways needed to lower the GB. Many are thinking GB average over some time.

Quote [Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong! Maybe my GB is not quite perfect - around the house the soil GBs close to 82 using manual (pumping method); but I rarely take it off 90...]

Henrikras is correct about the ground balance, if you keep it as close to actual ground reading, not only your depth will improve but your finds amongst the trash will also improve.

As others have said above, GB and Reactivity are the two most important factors for depth. I almost always hunt with a reactivity of 1 and will then jump to 3 to pick apart large iron areas once I have covered it on R=1