Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

What kind of Horseshoe ?

DWild

Never found one like this before. Maybe for traction in soil??

Attachments

• IMG_1300.jpeg
    IMG_1300.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 146
It's a shoe for driving horses working on ice.
Nowadays we use screw-in studs that allow us to adjust traction to suit the specific conditions, and the only modification to the actual shoe are holes that are drilled and tapped for the standardized 3/8"-16 threaded studs.

I was hoping it was a specially designed shoe used on the Mounted Patrol to leave a specific evidence mark on the forehead of a well known street terrorist group as they stepped on them.

I was hoping it was a specially designed shoe used on the Mounted Patrol to leave a specific evidence mark on the forehead of a well known street terrorist group as they stepped on them.
It would do that. :sneaky:

Seriously, I'm old school enough that I drift my 5/16" stud holes rather than drill them, so I don't have to think about whether there's electricity available or not. And I don't have to deal with drill bits or the mess that drilling those holes makes. But, as old school as I am, I'm still not old enough to remember seeing horses shod with that style shoe. They pretty much quit using them in the 50's, about the same time creameries quit using horses for deliveries and went to trucks. The man that taught me shod creamery horses to put himself through college, and he had shoes like that one in his collection.

Last edited:
An interesting side note..... local Historical Society has a couple of pictures of horses on snowshoes. They had to cross a low level pass (so to speak) in order to get mail from the last post office in our county over to a neighboring town in the next county. I cant even grasp how you figure out the size to be appropriate let alone training a horse to walk with them. Amazing!!!!

An interesting side note..... local Historical Society has a couple of pictures of horses on snowshoes. They had to cross a low level pass (so to speak) in order to get mail from the last post office in our county over to a neighboring town in the next county. I cant even grasp how you figure out the size to be appropriate let alone training a horse to walk with them. Amazing!!!!
They used something similar on horses in my neighborhood. I'm surrounded by muck farms. It's all deep black muck that conventional tractors would be instantly stuck in. These days it gets farmed with track equipment.

While we’re on the topic…found this one and was wondering about the age. I think it’s a draft horse shoe

Attachments

• 4D66D22D-3ABE-4F0D-89DD-4166612B89BA.jpeg
    4D66D22D-3ABE-4F0D-89DD-4166612B89BA.jpeg
    443.3 KB · Views: 142
  • EE1EB918-406C-43DE-93C6-31CE7C8C83CF.jpeg
    EE1EB918-406C-43DE-93C6-31CE7C8C83CF.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 144
While we’re on the topic…found this one and was wondering about the age. I think it’s a draft horse shoe
That is another ice shoe (Rt. hind). It originally had screw-in studs that had wide blades similar to the OP shoe, but they could be replaced and/or removed to be resharpened. Most were machine made, and they were popular from the late 20's to the early 50's.
Judging by the dimensions, it was for a small draft or a "chunk" (<-a descriptive name given to draft horse crossed with a light horse).